Backyard Orchards, chronicling, musing and more

Today, 08/20/21, I picked Challenger peaches. They are supposed to be on a smaller size but my water-ballon peaches are humongous. Average weight is 10-11 oz.

7 Likes

They are very clean inside Clemson bags.

This one split due to so much water it absorbed.

1 Like

This one had brix at 13.5. It tasted quite sweet. I was encouraged.

5 Likes

This apple is labeled Irish Peach. Can anyone confirm its identity?

@scottfsmith ?

It was from a small graft. It set fruit last year but all fell off. This year, it had two fruit. This one was rotted on one side. The internal rot was extensive. I was able to get bits and pieces to eat. It tasted sweet and texture was soft.

I watched Stephen Hayes’ video. Some of his Irish Peach apples looked similar to this one. However, most did not have much stripes.
The taste and texture seemed to match Stephen’s description.

I still have one left on the tree.

3 Likes

Could be. I have another question; is Irish Pitcher the same apple as Irish Peach?

Thank you for posting @mamuang @scottfsmith I did not realize you were growing this until today when I started a thread on kosui. I like this pear! It’s a keeper in my opinion.

6 Likes

Scott mentioned that he likes it several years back. He gave me scionwood. I am going to graft it to another tree that has better sun exposure.

My friend who tasted is going to order a Kosui tree for his yard. That’s how much he likes it.

2 Likes

Those Challengers are gorgeous!
I am expecting some Clemson bags any day now. Too late for this year . . . but next year I’ll use them.

2 Likes

Karen,
Once Clemson bags arrive, I suggest you practice putting them on your plums (if you have plums). This is because when you put them on peachlets next year, those peaches will be about a thumb size only.

Clemson has a video on how to put a bag on. Let me tell you. It is not as easy as the lady in the video made it looked like. It took me the 2nd year to get better at it.

Once you start using Clemson bags, you will be more conscientious when thinning peaches. You want to keep peachlets that are in a position that is easy to access and to bag.

2 Likes

I’m getting fat eating all this fruit we are growing. - That’s all I wanted to say.

4 Likes

Your Challenger peaches look very clean compared to my related Intrepid peaches. Did you spray anything for bacterial spot?

1 Like

I sprayed Kocide 3000 in early spring for both bacteria spot and peach leaf curl. It has worked quite well. I sprayed Indar and the new Sevin 3 weeks in a row before bagging (we had untimely rain so I could not space each spray too far apart). I was pleased with the result.

It did not work too well with nectarines. I got some brown rot. I probably did not close Clemson bags tightly enough,

2 Likes

Tippy, Did you use sticker with those sprays prior to bagging? I think NuFilm is very useful with fungicides.

Yes, I do have Nufilm 17 and use it in most spray.

The only time I skip Nufilm is when I sprayed Surround. Learned it the hard way.

1 Like

It has been mostly a very disappointing fruit growing year for me so far. Any fruit that ripened in July and August have tasted subpar. Many more have either cracked or rot.

The worst rot is nectarines.This was after 3-4 sprays of powerful fungicide. About 90% of Freckle Face nectarines have suffered varying degrees of brown rot.

You have had a fairly horrible fruit year. But, in the past you have had many good ones. Rain is definitely your enemy. I am so sorry! :cry:

2 Likes

Thanks, Mrs.G. I agree I have won many and lost a few so I still come out ahead :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

I think Ive come to realize that nectarines are really harder to grow than peaches

Freckle Face nectarines and Foster peaches got the same spray treatments, were bagged and ripened about the same time. Practically everything was the same.

I picked them today, 8/28/21. Here they are:
Freckle Face nectarines.

Foster peaches.

6 Likes

Foster peaches, picked 08/28/21. Eating quality of all my peaches, so far, has been subpar.

2 Likes

Water.