Backyard Orchards, chronicling, musing and more

Not as bad on the coast. 39 for a short time around 6:00 am. I have covered my cucumbers and tomatoes. My flower seedlings will come in the house with the peppers. In other news , not a single blossom on my fruit trees. And the peach tree is out right struggling. (Leaves grow, then wilt and peach leaf curl too).
Only good new to report: blueberries are loaded with blossoms and so are strawberries.

2 Likes

We’re looking at 32 here in Nashua. All my tender veggies are still inside. I may cover up my in-ground figs, but otherwise I think I’m in good shape.

1 Like

we should be at 36F as well for 2 hours coming night. My warm loving veggies are in greenhouse with heater or pots and I can move them in garage for the night. I more worry about tons of impatiences I started too early and already planted out. Also, the soil in future warm weather vegetable beds warmed nicely to 70F under plastic. I am afraid I will loose this progress after 36F, and I am planning on planting everything but melons out on May 23.

1 Like

Go for it. Even covering a single beans with glass jars an then throwing a blanket or tarp over then will do it.

1 Like

Let us know how it turns out! So far my seedling peaches have been so so. But Heath is really old and probably the one we have today is a seedling of a seedling… so it may be really good. Hey maybe I can propagate my own tree that way. It still produces lots of peaches so lots of seeds.

3 Likes

Yep. Tomatoes have been in the ground for a few weeks now. And the garden is already full of young plants of melons, squash, okra, kale, beans, and all sorts of other stuff. Fingers crossed it doesn’t get as cold as they’re predicting!

4 Likes

The heavily loaded seedling I saw yesterday is bearing for the first time, but the one I didn’t transplant made some fruit last fall.

They were indistinguishable from the parent tree. I had to work to keep them separate, as they would have quickly been mixed up on the counter.

Neither tree had a big crop and there was some insect damage. I found the pic, but no notes about which column was from which tree. I’ll take better notes this year.

1 Like

@JinMA and @jcguarneri
30 and 32!!! That is seriously cold for mid May.

@Colleen7 you and @galinas (in her previous home) have made the best used of your limited space.

@SMC_zone6 - We have not gotten our raised beds filled yet. By the time we get it done, it will be for a fall crop !! Half of mulch is still on the driveway.

2 Likes

Your beds are exceptionally deep. I suggest to fill them half way with wood chips, and top portion of it with planting mix. The wood chips will rot slowly and settle, that will give you some space in the top of the bed to add fresh compost yearly for first few years.

6 Likes

Galina
What a great idea!!! Thank you.

1 Like

I know you are going to grow herbs in them. Annuals or perennials? If you want to overwinter them in the beds, you need to think about insulating - you could either wrap them for winter with some insulation or put insulating layer inside, between vertical metal walls and soil.

Only veggies and herbs. No flowers, perennials or annuals.

1 Like

@scottfsmith and @BobVance
What do you do with Heath Cling? Aren’t they hard and sour?

Herbs could be annual (like dill), by-annual(like parsley) and perennials(like mint or oregano). Do some research on the type of herb you selected.

My planters go SIX FEET below surface!!! We used pine bark nuggets.

Will do. Ge wants to grow herbs. I am a fruit trees more than veggies/herb person.

@Colleen7 - that is a lot deeper than when we dug an area for our bamboo grove. I am impressed.

They are reasonably firm, but not hard. At least once ripe. They are sweet (often ~14 brix), with a bit of tropical flavor. And they are one of the few peaches available around Oct 1st. One other note is that they seem almost immune to PLC. The other two peaches/nec at the site had very bad PLC, but 10’ away the HC seedling did not. And I’ve never seen any PLC on the parent tree, even though a peach I had down the street from it (Gloria) was badly affected. The main drawback, other than aesthetics (which I am fine with) is that they are cling stone, so a bit more effort to cut up.

After writing the above, I was thinking about other peaches with similar flavors and NJF 17 (Tango II) came to mind. I’ll need to refresh my memory this year and do a fresh comparison, assuming I can get some NJF 17 from the farmer’s market.

I wonder if you would see the same results, given your tree probably has a bunch of other varieties around supplying pollen. If you’d like, I can collect some pits from my HC this year.

Edit: Hopefully the Gloria tree at my other rental doesn’t introduce outside pollen. I measured on the map and the 2 properties are about 1200 feet apart, as the crow flies.

1 Like

My only regret is that we didn’t leave a Halloween skeleton in the bottom for future home owners!

4 Likes

I’m seeing 29 out there this morning :confused:

2 Likes

the site is saying 30, but looking at the plants, I would say it is closer to 28. My thermometer on the window showing 32, but it is on the house behind the bush and it is noticeably warmer there than in the garden. Even young apple grows showing sign of distress. Yesterday, I was so busy to save stupid flowers, that completely forgot about potatoes… I could save at least ones in the ground by mounding soil and mulching… But I stupidly forgot.

1 Like