Backyard Orchards, chronicling, musing and more

Hopefully the warmth of the ground and small pockets of warmth from stone walls and larger trees and stuff helped keep temps a little higher than ambient air. I remember a late frost a few years back that didn’t end up doing as much damage as I’d initially expected, so maybe this time won’t be so bad either.

5 Likes

My potatoes look and feel like glass plants. Not sure if that could just recover…

It said that it was 28 here when I woke up, but it doesn’t quite feel it. Things look ok, nothing actually seems to be frosted. Steve may be right about there being enough heat coming out of the ground.

Hope your potatoes pull through!

3 Likes

Grass is not frosted for me, but peonies, potatoes, biannual flowers that I grew from seeds and planted out more then a month ago - they all look glass-like. Will see how they doing in couple hours when sun comes up. That would be the real challenge…

1 Like

Keep us updated.

1 Like

You guy got 28-29!! I slept through the lowest temp part so I have to wait to see.

I wonder if such cold temp would damage garlics. We brought all the tomatoes and peppers back inside. I have heard that after this, it would not drop this low any more for this spring

Let’s report later today.

4 Likes

No sign of frost here, either. This probably is because it has been dry for several days now and it was quite windy these past couple of days.

4 Likes

They should be fine. My fall planted garlic grew most of the winter with how mild it was. They like the cold.

4 Likes

The neighborhood weather station said 29, but the temp on my mini splits app said 34. Granted, that’s close to the house. It didn’t feel below freezing when I left for work at 6:40, and nothing was obviously damaged. I’ll have to take a closer look this afternoon. The one thing I’m worried about are my pawpaws.

5 Likes

@mamuang What I like to do with my Heath Cling is to leave them on the counter for a week or two. By then they have soften some and are absolutely delicious. The flavor is also unique, not like any peach I have had (I never had NJF 17). For me it is a must-have peach, both for the flavor and the late ripening. The main downside is all late peaches I tend to get more OFM damage on, and they can rot before they counter ripen if they have a lot of damage.

PS I hope everyone did OK with the recent weather. We are south of it here.

3 Likes

This is horrible. Chilly here too but high 60’s low 70’s. 80’s next week. Tippy this is not a great weather report from you. Due to the Mistral, I had fruit flying off if my trees.

2 Likes

Potatoes are likely to put up more sprouts from beneath the soil if the green all gets blackened. The crop may be reduced, but not to zero. You’ll not have a complete failure if potatoes got frozen.

1 Like

Yes, I know that. Just traditionally we cook first young potatoes on June 29, for my DH birthday. I doubt we will be able to keep the tradition this year. This frost will set us 2-3 weeks back . But potato damage is very strange. Most look like they are cooked - dark green and wilted. Couple look like nothing happened. Same kind. 1’ distance from the damaged ones. The good ones are not together, few feet apart. Go figure…

4 Likes

Got home from work, stepped out of my car and surveyed the yard before walking into my house (you guys have done this, too, right?).

So far, no visible sign of damage except for pawpaws. I have found pawpaw flower buds are more sensitive to cold snap.

One year, all my pawpaw flower buds were fried by a temp wild swing in April

This year, I have found a couple of flowers toward the tips of each branch shriveled. This has happened for the past 7-10 days. Today, several more were shivered. I like to think that low 30 during blooms may play a role.

1 Like

Here are dried up pawpaws, only the top few flowers of each branch and only Shenandoah.

1 Like

@SMC_zone6
I was wrong on my initial assessment. Top leaves of some figs got damaged by cold temp. Only two trees of many potted figs are affected. And surprisingly, they are Chicago Hardy!!!

2 Likes

I won’t get out to my orchard until Saturday. Just trying to stay optimistic.

2 Likes

I had similar damage on my two in ground fig trees.

1 Like

I got rid of my in ground Chicago Hardy.

So far, these two potted ones were affected. I am sure the freezing cold caused this damage because they were fine yesterday.

There could be more damage in the next few days.

For leaf freezing the variety should not matter much, it is more about location. That said, my Hardy Chicago fared the worst of all my figs this last winter, about half of the limbs died back. The other figs lost only a few limbs.

1 Like