Basic Orchard Software

I have a small 1500 tree operation that I would like to get better inventory control on. I wanted to know if there is software around that can map my orchard and I can label each group, row, tree, rootstock, planting date, etc. Anything very basic is what I am interested in. I want to be able to walk through my orchard and assess what is going on, make a note of it as I see it with an iPad. Something where I can zoom in on a map, select a tree, mark down that is in need of pruning, fertilizer, watering or it is dead. Any thoughts?

2 Likes

Sounds highly specialized, can’t imagine it would be cheap. Interested in seeing what others have to say.

If you’re willing to drop the map requirement everything you ask for can be created in Google Sheets and then accessed everywhere and shared with other people.

Someone very good with Sheets can create some really good looking and interactive tools for you. There’s also Google Apps Scripts (GAS) where you can add code to your Spreadsheet and do fancy things like automatically send email reminders to do things, request online weather data, query a database, etc.

Kinda wish I had the free time to do this for my own hobby orchard, LOL. I have something like what you talk about in Excel, one day ill get around to converting it to Sheets in full.

EDIT: Thinking about it some more, you might be able to get that map feature using GAS and connecting your Spreadsheet to a custom map on Google Maps. You would have to provide the latitude and longitude of each tree group as a single marker unless there is a feature to draw borders (maybe?). Not sure how much you can zoom in in google maps for it to be useful the way you want it to for your orchard.

2 Likes

I’m not aware for any app that can do all you want, and I have been looking for a similar one too. Breeders use FieldBook https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fieldbook.tracker&hl=en I do not think you would like it even if it was not for Android only. The app that is closest to my needs is this one ‎Save Location GPS on the App Store I’m using it on Android, but I suppose it’s the same for Apple devices.
As an example, if you want to map all dead trees:

• go to a dead tree #1
  • tap on Save Location
  • give it a name, say “#1”
  • optionally, make a note
  • optionally, take a photo
  • assign it to a group, say “Dead trees” and pick a color for that group, say black
  • Save

Now when you go to “Saved Locations” you will see all your groups, tap on Dead trees and you will see a list with all the assigned names, say #1, #2, #3… Next to the “List” tab is the “Map” tab. Tap on it and you will see a satellite map with all saved locations marked in black. Tap on a marker and you see its data. Unfortunately there is no direct access to an edit function. You have to go to the list tab, find the location name and edit it from there. Also you can’t assign a location to more than one group, to do that you have to save it again this time in a different group.

It’s not perfect, but is useful for some tasks.

There is another problem you might face. If you collect many single tree locations and if your trees are closely planted due to your device’s limited GPS accuracy it may save coordinates that are for another (wrong) tree. In that case you might want to look for a device which supports a dual-frequency GNSS, which gives a better GPS (and not only GPS) accuracy. I’m not completely sure, but I think none of the Apple devices support it as of know.

My career is based around supporting agriculture software. There’s quite a few field applications that might be able to be used for a permanent crop like orchards. It will probably depend on how much money you want to spend and what you all want to do with it now and in the future. Future being just as important IMO. It’s a lot of work to re-enter in data into a new system if you end up not liking it.

I haven’t talked with this company in a few years, but last I new they had a pretty customizable program that had both GIS capabilities and a record keeping system. I’m not sure where they’re at on pricing though.
https://croptrak.com/software/

I agree GPS accuracy might be an issue depending on how close your trees are, their height, and canopy cover. Here’s a GPS that works on iOS devices that supports GLONASS and GPS. I’ve never used it personally, but have heard good things.

https://www.amazon.com/Bad-Elf-GPS-Lightning-Connector/dp/B00G2BX616/ref=asc_df_B00G2BX616/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241874587131&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10295789522623008252&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9022633&hvtargid=aud-801381245258:pla-434288534866&psc=1

Depending on how your orchard is laid out can you use some type of number/label system. Based on rows and the tree number with tags to verify the tree? Like row: A, B, C, D tree: 1, 2, 3, 4 Your individual trees could be defined as A1, A2 A3 etc… Any type of database or even a spreadsheet could work then.

3 Likes

I am not overly worried about GPS accuracy. I have a CAD drawing with all the rows, varieties, etc. labeled. I would love to have that drawing at my disposal so I can zoom in and out of it and highlight a particular row and tree and make notes from there. Is there a way that I could zoom in, select a tree and it takes me to that section in a spreadsheet? Say, select tree #505 and the program takes me there on the Excel sheet.

Seems like the drawing+labels could be viewed in the field and just zoom it to locate a specific tree. “I’m in the K row, 3rd tree from the end, let’s see… Looks like that’s tree #505”. Then simply scroll to row 505 in your spreadsheet.

Google Sheets or similar for spreadsheet, multiple people can be viewing/editing simultaneously. Export drawing as PDF or perhaps a mobile CAD file viewing app.

But of course you’re at a whole different scale than my ~40 tree hobby orchard. Good luck with whatever solution you come up with.

You might be able to, but I’m not sure how functional it’d be on a mobile device. Are you thinking mobile or desktop? Other than specifc tree details do you want to record anything else? I’m thinking scouting data (diseases, pests, etc), spray rec/timing, upload pics, soil test/tissue/fruit test results?

There’s also some pretty complex GIS desktop applications that are free.

You can do some things with KML or KMZ files on Google Earth, and some on Google Maps which display data as points, lines, polygons, and link pictures and other info.

ArcGIS Online used with the Collector mobile app will do everything you’re looking for and more. The big problem is cost. You can get a free ArcGIS Online account to do some limited stuff, but in order to use collector, you’ll need a paid account, which starts at $500/year for individuals.

You might be able to make something work using just the web-based ArcGIS Online and a public account, but your data would be visible to the public.

My next idea would be to create your map in QGIS (you can load your CAD data if it’s georeferenced), then you can save the map project (packaged with your data) and load it into the QField mobile app. From there, you can take it in the field and attach records to each tree.

QGIS and QField are free and open-source GIS software.

Now, I do this sort of thing for work, and setting up a sophisticated, historical record of your managament activity takes a moderate amount of database design knowledge and can be tricky to get right. Hmmm… if I can find the time, I might be able to set up a template database and map project…

Links:
https://arcgis.com
https://www.qgis.org/en/site/
https://qfield.org/

5 Likes

Those were the two GIS programs I was thinking too. I use QGIS more than ESRI. How’s the QGIS mobile app? I haven’t used it in awhile and it was pretty clunky last time I tried. The desktop program is great though!

1 Like

I agree that it was clunky last time I used it, but that was a few years ago. I’ve downloaded it to try it out again The screenshots look better, and it sounds like it’s at least more fleshed out.

Hi, I have created an app which allows you to map your orchard, annotate trees, add photos and other informations. I use the app myself for my own orchard mapping and to record old trees and memories from elder people in my area. Its first version is on the Apple’s (an orchard company :slight_smile: app store, free to try. I am eager to hear your thoughts about the app, whether you find it helpful, what can be improved, and about your use case, too. If you wish, you can contact me at support@tapmints.com. Here is the link ‎Poi Pinner on the App Store

3 Likes

Interesting idea and work you have done.

If not Excel, then Libre Office Calc.

Thanks for sharing! Sounds like a really cool project and I’d be happy to try it out if you get it to android. I hope our apple folks give you some constructive feedback!

3 Likes