Best Blueberry Varieties?

Looking to get some more blueberry bushes and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on any particularly good varieties? Currently varieties we have are:
Unknowns
Pink lemonades
Premiers
Northcountry
Elliott
Bluecrop
EarlBlue
Sunshine Blue
and a Northblue that is supposed to arrive in the spring. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

2 Likes

@GuyThatLikesPlants

Tophat is a polite little bush great for containers.

I have heard that Tophat is a good one. Any suggestions on good nurseries for them? I know that Baker Creek and Hirt’s sell them

@GuyThatLikesPlants

Usually local nurseries

Ah, theres like no good nurseries around me lol

1 Like

Jung sells several varieties, including Top Hat. I’ve never ordered blueberries from them, but I’ve ordered other plants and was pleased with what I received.

Norse Farms might be another to consider. They don’t have Top Hat, but they have others. Again, I’ve never ordered blueberries from them, but I’ve ordered from them several times over the last 6 years and was happy with my order when it arrived.

1 Like

Blueberry hardiness and fruit quality is location dependent. Be sure to get reconditions from folks in your zone (6b) and soil conditions.

4 Likes

Legacy has been good in a container for me.

1 Like

I haven’t really heard of Jung before but it looks good. I have heard nourse is really good for the price.

Chandler and Bonus both produce really large berries. I found the Bonus plant at a local big box store on discount towards the end of the summer, Chandler I got online.

What is the yield like on those in your experience?

Simmons Plant Farm (AR) and Dan Finch (NC) have been my go-to mail-order sources for blueberries, for years.
Simmons’ plants are routinely the biggest, most robust plants I’ve received. Finch has a huge selection, but plant quality has been inconsistent.
Have purchased from Indiana Berry & Plant in the distant past, and those were fine.

2 Likes

Here in Michigan people keep planting bluecrop, Duke also Draper.

Check Burnt Ridge. They have a good selection. I bought a bunch of harder to find varieties from them the past couple of years.

1 Like

Lots of great info in this thread. If you say what zone you are in you will get more specific advice.

1 Like

Chippewa and Northsky are my faves here but for sheer production, Patriot is hard to beat.

FWIW, last year I finally put in a bunch of blueberries. I wanted high quality varieties that ripen sequentially across the growing season. I ended up with this selection:

Earliblue
Patriot
Blueray
BlueCrop
Northland
Chandler
Herbert
Darrow
Elizabeth

3 Likes

I want to get some patriot but I am bordering zone 7 and it appears their range is from zones 4-7…

it’ll be fine for you in Z6B. I’m also borderline 6-7.

p.s. I’ve bought a lot from Nourse and have been happy with them.

1 Like

Burnt Ridge is my favorite. Sell potted and packaged well.

1 Like