Best fig varieties?

does anyone have Ficus Galluzzo Bianco? maybe it has other names, it should taste very good :woman_shrugging:

Bring back this thread to ask about Pastiliere from Harvey, I added this and UP the last minute because they were $5, I really didn’t have enough time to research.
Yesterday, I potted all of my fig cuttings, I have most of them inside except this fig, UP, and Negra D’Adge, I have no more room inside hence that’s the reason, so I left them outside. I didn’t cover the top even because it’s natural tip. I was very surprised this morning that this fig is the best looking so far even after a cold morning like 40. The tip looks even more green than yesterday. Is this fig worth growing?

It ripens early in the season, although it can drop it’s figs for many years until it reaches an older age. It’s said to have a cherry like flavor. It’s fruit has a chewy texture.

Here is a quote from Harvey himself “Pastiliere is a French fig that is medium size with very dark pulp, intense berry flavor, and moderately to very sweet. Very delicious common fig (not requiring caprification) that should not be confused with Unknown Pastiliere.”

1 Like

Thank you for your comment. How is Unknown Pastiliere?

It requires the fig wasp, so most people don’t bother with it, I know nothing about it.

1 Like

I grew up in Italy and have tasted my fair share of amazing figs. My favorite so far has been the White Baca, an extremely rare variety I obtained a few years ago from the Fig Man of New Mexico, Lloyd Kreitzer. It literally tastes like a Peach Bellini Royale if you ever had one. Amazing little fruit!

I previously reviewed it here:

12 Likes

Bring back this thread to say I bought 2 more fig cuttings from KMH, Colonel Littman Black Cross and Calderona. his shipping fee was $10.
Next year Harvey will raise the shipping fee to $25, so I rather not paying that fee if I can help it.
But I keep reading about these figs like Craven’s Craving, Smith, and Harry’s Crete. Are they top tier?
What are the top tier figs beside Black Madeira?

Btw, 12 out of 19 fig cuttings from HarveyC have emerging young leaves, the rest I planted in the ground are doing ok, not dead, not rot. But only Violeta is questionable.

But I think I have, the rest I’m not sure

White Madeira #1
Hartive de Argenteuil
NegraD’Adge
Black Madeira
I-258
Noir de Barbentane
Adriatic JH
Bass’ Favorite
Bebera Branca
Grosse Monstreuse de Lipari

2 Likes

that’s a beautiful fruit

1 Like

How old are your fig trees when they start producing their best quality figs? Does it vary by variety? E.g. first two years of my Malta Black the fruit are boring, nothing special. Takoma Violet impressed right off the bat.

1 Like

I bought 2 scions of Craven’s Craving recently from Padsfan, he sent really good sticks at reasonable price, plus he’s in California. But I think this is it for now.
So far all of my fig cuttings have rooted, no big leaves but tiny leaves, not only that some of the stubs have rooted or grafted. Fig on!

3 Likes

Are you affected by Black Fig Fly in So. Cal?

1 Like

What’s that? I don’t have a clue what it is?

I think last year, many So. Cal growers reported BFF infected figs on their trees

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I don’t think I had any trouble last year. I have a few praying mantises here and they do eat flies.

Is that someone on the forum? Would love to figure out where folks are getting good quality cuttings that are actually the varieties offered. Thanks for your help!

I think I figured it out… it’s someone on OurFigs.com or maybe some other fig forum? Thanks!

Shout out to Harvey for some of the best cuttings you can buy at the fairest prices.

1 Like

I think that she’s referring to one of Padsfan fig bid auctions, like this one that he’s selling now FigBid - Online Auctions of Fig Trees, Fig Cuttings & Growing Supplies - TWO Craven’s Craving MOTHER TREE Cuttings from Padsfan 😃

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

I’d like to second @ramv suggestion, yet Harvey is selling out fast, I am surprised that more has not sold out FIGAHOLICS

2 Likes