Best fig varieties?

How old are your fig trees when they start producing their best quality figs? Does it vary by variety? E.g. first two years of my Malta Black the fruit are boring, nothing special. Takoma Violet impressed right off the bat.

1 Like

I bought 2 scions of Craven’s Craving recently from Padsfan, he sent really good sticks at reasonable price, plus he’s in California. But I think this is it for now.
So far all of my fig cuttings have rooted, no big leaves but tiny leaves, not only that some of the stubs have rooted or grafted. Fig on!

3 Likes

Are you affected by Black Fig Fly in So. Cal?

1 Like

What’s that? I don’t have a clue what it is?

I think last year, many So. Cal growers reported BFF infected figs on their trees

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I don’t think I had any trouble last year. I have a few praying mantises here and they do eat flies.

Is that someone on the forum? Would love to figure out where folks are getting good quality cuttings that are actually the varieties offered. Thanks for your help!

I think I figured it out… it’s someone on OurFigs.com or maybe some other fig forum? Thanks!

Shout out to Harvey for some of the best cuttings you can buy at the fairest prices.

1 Like

I think that she’s referring to one of Padsfan fig bid auctions, like this one that he’s selling now FigBid - Online Auctions of Fig Trees, Fig Cuttings & Growing Supplies - TWO Craven’s Craving MOTHER TREE Cuttings from Padsfan 😃

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

I’d like to second @ramv suggestion, yet Harvey is selling out fast, I am surprised that more has not sold out FIGAHOLICS

2 Likes

Harvey is the person behind this:

?

Or is it someone else?

Thanks!

That is not Harvey, it’s a fig tree that Harvey gave the seller. I highly doubt that Harvey would sell on fig bid, he’s a farmer on top of being a fig collector, and would not have time for fig bid.

Plus Harvey lives in California

3 Likes

Thank you!