Bindweed, I'm losing the war

Glyphosate is not a good choice for bindweed. 2,4D, Dicamba, and Quinclorac in combination is the best thing I used. We moved to Montana in 2010 and bought a property with several patches of bindweed. Which we had never dealt with it before and it was very discouraging. I think it is important to use products directed toward broadleaf weeds and Quinclorac added to the mix definitely sets it back much longer. And do use a surfactant in your herbicide mix. Bindweed is said to have roots that go as far as 30 feet down. It can sit there for years and then pop up. We did go for several years without seeing any after hitting it hard for a two or three years. My husband isn’t as OCD about it as I am and he tilled the garden again when we had a few spots of bindweed coming up. It moved to our property from the neighbors who simply said that you can’t do anything about it. Their yard is basically bindweed. After they saw my progress they started working on theirs and they were very happy with the results. But now I see they aren’t controlling it anymore. It is said that you can cover it for three years with good results and plastic for several years and set it back successfully. The roots go up to 30 feet deep. So getting anything all the way to the source is not possible. But I know if I am diligent I can control it and have very few spots without much effort once I get a reasonable level of control which takes about three years. It has been said that you can grow squash over it and fight it that way. I haven’t seen it come up in a big squash patch but doubt it is that helpful. Never let it go to seed. I got the quinclorac addition advice from our Montana Ag television show on our public TV station. They use it prior to planting wheat where bindweed can grow up the plants and cause it to lodge so that it is impossible to machine harvest.

5 Likes

quinclorac works great for bindweed, except around any trees or bushes or flowers you might want to survive…

3 Likes

Yes it isn’t for area spraying only spot spraying.

1 Like

Stuff is into the bloom stage now. Helps to spot it.

3 Likes

Yup, this is when I go around the one spot in my yard where bindweed … persists … and pull out like a dozen pieces about this size:

I wouldn’t say I’m losing the war, it’s kind of a steady state as long as I keep it from spreading seed beyond the stone patio barrier that keeps it in place.

3 Likes

A special joy to discover that the bindweed has infiltrated the clematis vine.

2 Likes

I strictly spot treat weed killers. I do use it in the apple orchard.

2 Likes