Bindweed, I'm losing the war

Morning Glories are Fine; Bindweed is Not!

I recently bought two packs of morning glory seeds. After reading all these post I was confused as to whether I should plant or through them in the trash.

If you have a nemesis or rival you could plant them at their house and see if you’d want them after a season or two.

3 Likes

The morning glory sold in the nursery catalogs is an annual and is fine, I believe.

3 Likes

For melons, squash, and other vine crops (Cucumbers, tomatoes, etc), I lay clear plastic or black plastic around the base of the plants. (Throw dirt on the plastic to hold it down.) This reduces bindweed 100% if you do it right. Yes, the bindweed comes back next year. For my strawberry patch I dip a small paintbrush in Roundup (3 times the normal ratio), and “paint” the bindweed between the rows. I think when you increase the dosage from 3 oz per gallon to 9 oz per gallon it knocks the plant back farther, and it takes longer to return.

3 Likes

Actually John, we have really high calcium soils here in KS and MO. Lots of limestone. Missouri is ranked as the number 3 state in cement production in the U.S. (cement is basically ground cooked limestone). My soil tested very high in Ca. I can’t remember the numbers off hand, but it was very high. Hasn’t slowed bindweed that I can tell. If it’s not fought, it will eventually make a solid thick carpet. Then spread the seeds more by wind the next year to carpet another area.

5 Likes