Black Currants 2017

sounds like i need to try Crandall. im going to have plenty of titania to trade this spring hopefully…

trying to get them to go dormant now.
also I’ve got some Ben hope actively vegging right now indoors…

2 Likes

Well that won’t be a problem next year

Crandall might not be that cold tolerant, not sure?

Do you have Crandall? That should grow well. Not a red or a white, but it’s not a black either, well it is, although a different species than the other blacks. And their are red and yellow fruited Golden currents. I have not been able to find the yellow, but may have a red, I’ll find out next summer.

2 Likes

many nurseries list crandall and goldens hardy to z2, some say z3. I’m in 3b but the snow has covered it since i planted so it was protected. we’ll see once it gets bigger.

1 Like

Yeah Crandall may be fine, but any California strains of Golden may not work. Cool, Crandall seems to work everywhere. but if in the west I would look for a local source you know works there. As the hardier strains may not work in the west. Never thought about that!

This site talks a lot about the various sub species in California. Near the bottom of the page is a list of nurseries that carry them in California.
https://calscape.org/Ribes-aureum-(Golden-Currant)

1 Like

Yes they are. The Ben series is excellent. Great berries great taste. My Ben Serak are the largest of. My black currant berries. Best cooked as are most black currants.

1 Like

wish they were WPBR resistant. you ever have that issue w/ yours mrs G?

1 Like

my other 2 types of goldens i have were planted the same time as the crandall and haven’t shown any cold damage. even tho. they have been hit hard by WPBR, they still grew 2xs as big as the crandall. 2 were from a colorado nursery off amazon. the other 2 i think came from burnt ridge in washington. i may wait to see what the berries are like this year before pulling them. still looking for that gold berry. :wink:

1 Like

No. Also Black currants can now be shipped to RI. They state permits them. Ben Serak is semi resistant to WPB. We have a lot of fog and humidity all summer long. Still, no mildew or disease. I do spray them with copper and one spray of triaz. In the spring and that is it. I give them an all around fruit fertilizer in the spring , then mulch. Thats it! :blush:

1 Like

I have not seen that here. Hoping it’s not around. I also have the ones from Colorado too. yeah wait, even if you pull them, grab a few cuttings for me of the Burnt Ridge. Having a different strains may give different flavors.

1 Like

were the ones from CO black fruited? taste similar to crandall?

1 Like

LOL! I don’t know? Have yet to fruit! Hey no worries if mixed up. I know the feeling as mentioned in my last PM!

1 Like

funny thing is I’ve never seen a wild Ribes all my years in the woods/ fields foraging up here and there are very few white pines that grow here in our heavy clay soil. they like the sandy soil down south. no idea where this came from unless was infected from the nursery but don’t think w/ pine grows in CO. maybe from another 5 needled western pine? they didn’t show any symptoms the 1st year. completely defoliated them by early august last summer. didn’t affect consort or crandall.

1 Like

I never seen wild ones either. I noticed though that my red and pink currants were starting to grow all over the place :slight_smile: At my cottage, not here. The birds must have spread them!

2 Likes

I had that problem with Raintree, I sent them a page where it lists the countries they are allowed and since there is no approval required no could be submitted. They said I just made my own approval document and shipped with no problem.

1 Like

Find the north side of a building or some trees…should enable it. bb

1 Like

@Drew51, will Rovada grow like the cordon in the pic? I want to grow some currants. How easy are they to root from cuttings. If they are easy to root maybe I’ll get some from you when I come by if you have some.

very! one of the easiest. I’ve cut a branch off and stuck it next to the mother plant. 95% of the time it roots! half the neighborhood has my currants. when i prune i pot most of the cuttings and give them away.

3 Likes

Yes that is Rovada. I have done two of them myself but removed them last fall. You keep one main branch remove the others or cut them down to a few nodes. Sometimes cordons die, so it’s worth keeping a couple branches at the base,. I tie it to the fence, cut off any side branches or again keep them short. Once at the top head it, it splits into two and tie and guide along the top of the fence.
Yes, super easy to root from cuttings. Yes, btw I’m better so anytime . I do have 4 dogs I’m baby sitting, but I’m over the flu. I believe I had the flu. It should be safe now. I’m always home so whenever best for you.

I could actually make it tomorrow if that’s good.

Sorry I didn’t see this PM me when you can again.

1 Like