Black Currants 2017

anyone familiar with Cherny Bumer?
FB_IMG_1551361791364
New large-fruited black currant with complex resistance, ecologically plastic - adapted to different cultivation conditions, with extremely high and stable yield and excellent sweet taste. Complex resistant to fungal diseases, pests, drought and late spring frost.

Parents: crossing of sweet-fruited varieties Chudesnitsa x Selechenskaya 2. Released in 2007.
Picking season: mid June
Fruit size: giant, 5-7g
Fruit colour: black
Vigour: strong, can be grown in columnar shape
Growth habit: semi erect
Start to bear fruit: very early
Cropping: heavy
Bearing regularity: regular
Self-fertility: yes
Blossom frost-resistance: yes
Cold hardiness: very good
Suitable for organic or no-spray culture: yes
General disease-resistance: very good

4 Likes

Yes, it was bred in Ukraine. Since I have Selechenskaya 2 I’ve lost interest in this one. Reviews are lukewarm in it’s country of origin but it is certainly worth trying. Video here:

5 Likes

those are some big currants! ( mouth watering)!

2 Likes

Someone selling seeds for Selechenskaya 2 on ebay for just a couple bucks, anyone know how true to parent BC seeds are?

have you grown currant from seed before Derek? i might order some to give it a try.

I havent… but I might try!

1 Like

just ordered some. what the hell. if i have a chance of getting big currants like that, its worth a try.

2 Likes

Ebay is not the way to go, I’m afraid…they can send you just about anything.

3 Likes

i agree . but it may take decades before that cultivar gets sold here so if theres a chance i can get some currants like those, ill give it a try. if they aren’t as advertised, ill plant the ones i grow on some land i manage. so its not a loss.

2 Likes

yup but for $4 it’s not a big loss

2 Likes

pm me your address and when they come in ill share some with you, as well as the other seeds we discussed.

1 Like

I bought some plants this year. Just to try some others. Also those who asked for scion. I will be sending out in about a week. Waiting for this cold spell to be over with! Another week!
Anyway I ordered
Boskoop Giant (Organic) - Large to very large fruits a Dutch variety.
Crusader (Ribes nigrumX R. ussuriense) (Organic) - Another excellent hardy, rust immune Canadian hybrid from the same breeding program as Consort. large fruit.
Slitsa (Organic) - Another Dutch variety, large, very early
Risager - Another Dutch type.
Belorusskaya, a Russian variety,

3 Likes

I have risager too, through GRIN. Do you know much about it? I haven’t found much, myself. I have Consort but the flavor is a bit strong for me. I am hoping Risager is more mild. Similar to Crandall would be ideal, but I’m expecting Risager to still be somewhat musky.

No but I like the currant plants from the Netherlands. They are all excellent cultivars.
I do know it is highly resistant to rust and also mildew which can be a problem on some.
I like the stronger berries as they make the most excellent syrup. I like it over ice cream, and also with lemonade and vodka, wow, great drink! I also add some to water to flavor it. Minaj Smyriou is supposed to be milder. I can’t really tell, maybe a little. I do notice Crandall is. Just grow more of them, pretty plants too.You could also try the hybrids with reds, and also gooseberries. Not easy to find. I saw them somewhere?

1 Like

Bought those last year but none germinated. Hope you have better luck.

3 Likes

Most good seeds will sink, if they float they are empty or dried out.
I’m trying to grow some wild golden currant seeds to get a yellow fruited variety. Hard to find good seeds! They may not last long? I don’t really know? My seeds are outside, I would rather they sprout with mother nature. They need chilling anyway. Yeah don’t forget to chill seeds, 3 months! You can do it in the fridge if you have to.I would keep them moist too in the fridge in paper towel. Watch for them to sprout. I don’t like using the fridge for small seeds. I put them in seed trays and in my cool unheated garage for the winter. I often would forget to water, so I started putting the seed trays outside. Mine are covered with snow at the moment. I’m trying this with other seeds too.

2 Likes

I’ve had good luck keeping seeds in water in fridge till they start to sprout or i want them to grow and plant to flats. I’ve done this with cherry, juneberry, and aronia so far.

4 Likes

I’ll have to try that!

I recently got cuttings for Black Boomer from a person living in Serbia. He said he likes these more than any other blackcurrants.

2 Likes

I also had the same experience. The first time i tried a black currant, i found it very astrigent. As time passed, it has become more palitable. Maybe it is an aquired taste.

3 Likes