Black Diamond Apples

Just came across this article.

2 Likes

Reminds me of Red Delicious, but without the waist. Be fun to try.

1 Like

I saw this article several times and I really think it’s just a photoshopped Red Delicious/Red Chief or some other bud mutation. I have seen similar ones with black strawberry too

1 Like

Still think King David is prettier and tops in flavor; I’m not interested in any sport of Red Delicious.
kingdavid1

10 Likes

When you guys say you think these are fake, what are you picturing? Do you think the article is made up, or the farmers are dying their apples?

I have seen RD in the groceries here in Montana that are pretty black-red, especially toward the bottom end. Those apples were from Washington state.

1 Like

I’ll wager one thing, it tastes better than Red Delicious from Kroger I bet you!
Partly because it is tree-ripened.

3 Likes

Apple color and shape are highly dependent on weather. Warmer areas have fatter/squatter/shorter apples and they have less color. Also those RD with the waist have likely been sprayed with a growth regulator. That’s in addition to weather factors that induce a longer apple.

3 Likes

So are the dark purple apples pictured King David? Also would Arkansas Black apples darkened if in a particular climate?

I have no doubt the Chinese are growing a dark apple variety they call Black Diamond. I also have no doubt they are manipulating the photos to make it darker than it really is. I have no doubt they are exaggerating most if not all of its good qualities. The article says it is somehow related to the Huaniu variety from New Zealand that looks a little like Red Delicious. The Chinese sometimes try to sell Huaniu by claiming it is Red Delicious. It isn’t, and if it were the Chinese probably would never eat it. They don’t like apples like Red Delicious. More than half the apples sold in China are Fuji or cultivars related to Fuji.

Yes, these are King David. This one below is grown in Riverside, CA with the bloom polished off. The bloom makes them look a bit darker when picked off the tree.

Arkansas Black also colors up well in the heat, the below apples are from Orange County by the former El Toro marine base

8 Likes

Can anyone will help me to buy the black diamond apple plants please if you guys have any information please share

I don’ think there’s any way to buy them except to visit the area where they are grown, or talk to a wholesale fruit seller in Beijing, Shanghai or Guangzhou.

1 Like

I saw someone on FB who proposed it, but I can not find the link … nor the group.

The problem is that even if this turns out to be genuine, there’s no way you’re just going to get it shipped to you with all the regulations we have about trees, seeds, and produce coming into our country.

You would need a USDA import permit for plants but I don’t think there’s any chance that anyone in China would sell these trees, or wood from these trees. The best you could do would be to eat some fruits in China and bring in the seeds.

Seeds with a permit. I tried bringing seeds in last year from France and they were all confiscated. I had no idea of the rules. Nonetheless, seeds from apples don’t yield the same variety.

I know the seedlings will not be the same, but they may have some of the good qualities of this fruit. The tree producing this fruit may be a seedling of Huaniu and it does apparently have some similarities to Huaniu.

What’s the avg. size of your King David apples? And how sour are they?
BB

I would call them small the medium, not sour at all, but a rich, well-balanced sweet/tart. It looks a lot like Arkansas Black but the texture is much more eatable right off the tree. The aroma is heavenly.

2 Likes