Blackberries, Raspberries and Hybrids

I see you have the same passion that i did when i first started. I dont see why they wouldnt all survive and bear fruit… with alot of love and attention.

You can gift those Triple Crowns to a friend or relative… When you get my Victory plants those will be obsolete. :sunglasses: (my victory is still setting fruit now…it doesnt know how to quit).

Is your goal to have them all in ground? Or a mix of in ground and in pots?

The only issue I see a challenge for is diseases… mixing red, black, purple and yellow rasps in with east coast and west coast blackberries in a small area is like a little science project. The more stressed a plant is the more susceptible it is. The happier the root and crown the happier the plants are and healthier. Some of those older cultivars may give you trouble at some point… so if it were me i would get a plan for soil health… to give them their best chance.

If there are any cultivars you are looking for or want just ask… ive mostly done all the leg work on tracking things down.

6 Likes

I’m still not sure exactly what my goal is. I think my goal is to find out which ones are my favorite tasting and which ones do best, and pull ones that I don’t like the taste of, or ones that don’t bear fruit (if any) - but also everyone keeps warning me about how quickly they spread like weeds, so I’m hesitant to plant them all in-ground at once. Also worried about them spreading under the fence and my neighbors spraying weedkiller on them…

as for disease, I have had several Raspberry plants just start turning brown and shrivel up and die, I never figured out if it was some kind of wilt disease, or what. I did grow tomatoes nearby and had a few dead tomato plants, but the affected raspberry plants were in containers and not in the soil near them. I also have a strange issue where in one part of the yard, any cane that touches the grass turns black at the tip and the tip dies. Still haven’t figured out if it’s some kind of ‘fire blight’ bacteria, or if it’s just because I accidentally over-ironed my yard last year

But all that said, most of the blackberry plants have been extremely vigorous growers. The only issue I’ve had is with Austin Dewberry getting a very slow start (one of them died), and Prime-Ark 45 being nearly impossible to keep alive in the Texas summer heat (2 out of 3 died)

2 Likes

likely shock.

I think you mentioned you did alot of stuff in the Summer…

When u do stuff in the summer and mess with the roots they will sacrifice their top growth in order to protect their roots.

Dappled shade and good root medium along with heavy watering is the only thing that really helps shock. As long as the roots are alive…u still have a viable plant.

Speading like weeds is mostly a raspberry thing… on blackberries it mostly happens with voles. Each time they munch on a root you will have suckers.

My Austin dewberries are a mess… they send out so many canes in every direction its tough to keep them at bay. Each of my crowns must send up 30 canes and they are relentless.

PA45 should be ok in your heat… i know of several folks that grow them in high tunnels. I dont like this variety at all and pulled mine. Horizon is twice as good i think.

2 Likes

I know what the Baba Raspberry is, but does anyone have any info on what the Baba Blackberry is?

Can’t find any mention of it anywhere except tytyga’s store

1 Like

@PcChip, please be aware that there are many people who have bad experiences with ordering from Tyty or their other businesses under different names. A search on this forum will yield more similar documented occurrences than this one:

3 Likes

I did a deep dive into its history and got as far as i could with it… nobody liked it so its probably not interesting.

The honest nurseries like Bay Laurel and Bob Wells etc sell Dave Wilson nursery plants.

A good story and review-

3 Likes

Just now seeing this. Really glad these seem to be growing well for you. I didn’t know how they’d take the southern heat. Looks like they ripened about a month earlier than here. Any other things to note? Did you do anything special or stick them and let them go? How productive have they been? How long till fruit for you? I plan on propagating a lot more of these next year. Might be time to give them a proper name.

4 Likes

I have them next to Lawton which i am going to pull i think. I will likely pull Everett and also Healthberry…and let them do their own thing in a wild area. I dont see any sense in trellising them.

Reason is their desire to sucker. Also they are old wild types that are probably the most susceptible to viruses and i dont want them in my private block… thats me just being cautious though.

Ebony King is my favorite old timey berry right now and im keeping them in the row.

I am doing trellis on everything. Two rows of wire and T-posts about 3 feet apart. I am not going to tie anything anymore i dont think. The erects and semi-erects I let lean on the wire… and the trailing ones i lasso and braid around the wires.

Eventually i think i will just chop all of the erects and semi- erects to 4 feet in the late Fall and that will give me plenty of personal crop…and much easier to manage.

Here the Everetts seem to do well… they look healthy and happy and the fruits are comparable to Darrow. Perhaps they will get better with another year.

5 Likes

Thanks for the update. Yes, I agree that these things are far from well behaved. Having them naturalize in a hedgerow may be where you and them are both happiest :grin:

5 Likes

Celestial Blackberry
Thunderhead Blackberry
and Finnberry Raspberry

are all listed in the new propagation list at North American Plants.

So looks like those will possibly make it to nurseries next year.

No videos or any kind of marketing at all so far except for Finnberry.

2 Likes

Interesting about Finnberry; no attribute to Chad Finn in above link although Aurora, Oregon research site is mentioned. Otherwise, search results for Finnberry are dominated by various European brand powdered foods.

1 Like

Finnberry has Caroline as a parent

Chad Finn also patented Kokanee, which is the offspring of Vintage (and he patented Vintage also)

Kokanee starts producing somewhat later (close to Heritage) with characteristics very similar to Vintage, its parent. Vintage is known for outstanding flavor.

I think they wanted something earlier, so a better Caroline

4 Likes

Womack Nursery is open for shipping of Brison, Rosborough and Womack blackberries if any of those interest anyone. All are very thorny.

Root cuttings are 25 for $25 and they have various options for plants at a fair price.

I bought mine last year at this time and planted them near the end of December and all are doing well.

‘Womack’ (left), ‘Brison’ (middle) and ‘Rosborough’ (right)

2 Likes

how cold are we talking?

1 Like

Im not sure you’re getting enough ketchup…

2 Likes

Idaho Z4B

3 Likes

wow, impressive. id pretty much given up on a boysen or marion type here. i may have to get me some. how do you rate them @krismoriah ?

2 Likes

That would be awesome - I had given up on those

1 Like

guess i should have read down the thread some before asking. sounds like youve yet to try them. if its better than boysen in a warm climate, what is it in a cool climate? I imagine ID gets some decent heat, more so than here anyway.

3 Likes

Thats kind of my motto on everything i grow. If you read enough of these forums someone somewhere at some point wasnt able to grow something because it was ‘too cold’ or ‘too hot’. Then it becomes a Goldilocks variety until someone somewhere tries it and has success.

Loganberry is a good example… the thornless one gets zapped by cold snaps as TN hunter mentioned…where as the thorny one does well as far north as Michigan… unknown how cold it can tolerate as its impossible to find. I got mine from Mass. where it grows well for them.

4 Likes