Bloom times of plums/hybrids. Zone 8b, PNW

Interesting. I’ve only produced a few Geo Pride, and they are in my bottom half of stone fruit that I grow. Maybe I’m not getting them at their peak, although that’s a good thing about Splash and Flavor Grenade, their long picking window.

For me Splash and Green Gage are 5s, sometimes Howard Miracle too.

2 Likes

@murky the plum I told you from Mr. Hall or just called Vincent’s Plum is the best Plum to me. If you would like the scions I will send them to you. With me Sweet treat is very high quality as well. Hopefully I have a lot of fruits on big tree in next August and I would like to send some fruits to you and @Bradybb for tasting if convenient. Below my Sweet treat in Winter time.

6 Likes

All on the same day are the following photos. All are acclimated. I know some other places may see slightly different is possible. This is NW Illinois, Mercer Co. zone 5b, 4.23.21

Rutland

Adara

Dapple Dandy

Flavor Queen

Flavor Train

Flavorich

Improved Satsuma

Improved Satsuma

Sprite

Sweet Treat

Those are all on a very large Prunus americana

these are photos of others on the same day as above:

Johnson plum (Starking Delicious) on whatever Stark Bros. grafted it on. It’s a plum rootstock of some type.

Satsuma on peach seedling

Splash on peach seedling

also on the same day:

Saturn peach on peach seedling

Hoyt Montrose apricot on the above Prunus americana

6 Likes

Thank you Vincent. I would love to taste fruits of any varieties I haven’t had, especially one you think is very good.

2 Likes

@Bradybb how do you think about Bella Gold Peacotum in our areas? Your grafting ever fruit yet? Have you ever tasted yet? One green world available for ordering now. Thank you Brad.

1 Like

My tree hasn’t grown very much and never produced fruit.I grafted on a couple of Peach varieties and one of them produced a little.
There doesn’t seem to be much vigor with mine.

1 Like

You’re probably right, GeoPride from my orchard was excellent, a little better than Splash, though both were fairly similar in flavor when soft ripe. Still, Flavor King and Flavor Supreme are the best.

2 Likes

I have Summer Delight, last year was its first crop and it ripened it late September. That’s too late for me, as I don’t feel like eating cots that late in the season, too much competition from super sweet nectarines and pluots. Apricots are good in June and July in my book.

2 Likes

My order came today from Bay Laurel nursery.
Splash Pluot, Stanley plum, Sweet Treat, Sprite & Delight plum.1.7th.23

4 Likes

I thought Geopride not really worth eating, and Splash one of the best fruits from my orchard.

Yes, I got that, and that’s why I confirmed your suspicion that you are likely not getting GeoPride at its prime, as I found it close to Splash eating quality.

1 Like

SD’s late season…for an Aprium. It’s picking time like one to two months earlier than many Pluots. https://www.davewilson.com/img/content/harvestdates-bareroot-hg-2021.pdf (If the people who would like to sell you some are to be believed.) But being in a cooler zone (5 vs 9) you’d just be looking at everything pushed later more or less I would think?

1 Like

@evilpaul fruit trees performant are so different for every areas. Such as so many Pluot or apricots or certain plum never fruiting in Seattle areas. Therefore I just like to plant something already successful with some others fruit growers in the areas, other than that I rather wait for more reports before making decision. Specifically Aprium is a hybrid with high percentage of apricots.

Your apricot Orange red fruiting every year? Are they ripe on time before raining season? How the quality @Bradybb ? Thank you Brady.

That’s true, I’m just pointing out that if the sole issue was the length of your growing season all but the low chill/no chill, super-early pluots will be ripening after the SD aprium. So it’s one thing you probably don’t have to worry about. What I’ve heard from people growing apricots in the PNW was more that it rained too much during flowering to get a good fruit set a lot of the time (along with the usual stone fruit disease issues everywhere outside the garden wonderland of California).

I ordered an SD for this year to see how it’ll do here for me in the NE outside Philly. I kind of wanted to try a Leah Cot because they’re supposed to be the largest, but I could get the SD tree for half as much money, and all the apriums look appealing. Plus, I think Apricots (and their dominant hybrids) are the prettiest of the stone fruit trees outside those red leaved peaches. I like the big, kind-of-reminds-me-of-Ginko leaves even though they’re completely different.

2 Likes

Good idea. I really like the tree ripped apricots and still looking for to try something adaptable in my areas. Especially early ripping varieties: Pluot, Apricot or Aprium…. Thank you so much for pointing out @evilpaul .

1 Like

The tree that has different stone fruit grafted,including OrangeRed,suffered from
Brown Rot Blossom Blight for the last couple years and didn’t produce any,only mostly Methley Plums.
Apricots are usually one of the earliest to ripen.About the end of June for me.
The best Apricot I’ve ever tasted.

2 Likes

Do do have Flavorosa Pluot. Any idea? @murky @Bradybb . Thank you.

I don’t think I’ve seen or tried Flavorosa Vincent. Looks like it’s an early ripener from cursory google search.

2 Likes

I think there is a graft of that on one of my trees.During my first CRFG scion exchange,someone had a bag,labeled Marcia’s Favorite(real name is Flavor)Pluot.
So after fruiting,the ID didn’t match,because of ripening date and physical appearance.My guess is Flavorosa.

Vincent,I saw yours on another thread and they look similar.Where did your tree come from?
@Stan notes that Flavorosa gets split pits quite a bit.Maybe he can help with identification.

3 Likes