Blue Gmo tomatoes miracle cure or say no to gmo?

I remember a study where people were given all the essential vitamins and others ate extra fruits and vegetables.

I know it’s hard to evaluate

but it has been shown that people who only had the vitamins were a bit healthier and those who had fruit and vegetables were significantly healthier.
the plants produce endless amounts of healthy substances, which are far too much to produce chemically.

I think anthocyanin is healthy…
but i have a bit of a problem with it because there are so many healthy or antioxidant compounds that plants produce and anthocyanine are one of them.
but from a marketing point of view, you can see for yourself, nice dark colour, it’s just one healthy substance among many.

I hope it doesn’t have any side effects like smoking and beta-carotene.
but who knows :woman_shrugging:
maybe even too much of it is harmful :woman_shrugging:

but it’s just one substance among many

I grow a tomato developed from a cross of Domestic X Wild species. It produces 40 times as much beta carotene as normal tomatoes. One tomato provides all the vitamin A four people need each day. Vitamin A deficiency is widespread in 3rd world countries and in extreme cases can cause blindness. Now think for a minute if the tomato I grow could be put to use in those places where it is needed. If you want to read about it, John Stommel developed 97L97 nearly 20 years ago.

There is also a tomato named “Doublerich” that has twice as much vitamin C as normal tomatoes. Now put the pieces together. What if we developed a tomato that has high anthocyanins, high vitamin A, and high vitamin C?

I do NOT eat 97L97 as fresh fruit. I add about 10% 97L97 fruit by volume when making tomato sauce and paste. When combined with sweeter tomatoes, it boosts vitamin content and enhances flavor.

Can you picture ketchup made with high anthocyanin and high beta carotene tomatoes?

2 Likes

At least 8% of human DNA is directly attributable to viral DNA. Nature has been GMOing since time immemorial. I hope the government approves the American chestnut with a wheat gene to resist the blight.

I’m wondering anyway, evulotion, can’t you just happened by destroying, damaging, doubling …genes,
something has to be added that can produce something new.

it’s not an advertisement for genetic engineering now…
because nature made it piece by piece for millions of years. and „nature“ wiped out whole species…
but one should not rush the process. before all questions and possible consequences are 1000% clarified.

but some species have not been wiped out but have evolved and the previous form no longer existed

thats a similair connundrum as golden rice

Science | AAAS.

i think the golden rice would be a more practical solution to combat child blindness than tomato’s.

We keep running into the same problem though. People, governments etc want simple “rules” for when GMO is “good” or “bad” or when it should or shouldn’t be allowed. The reality in my mind is that the only way to mitigate risks is to not only “test” the mechanism (trans species okay? for example) but mostly the goal. Depending on how it’s (GMO) used it can be good or disastrous. And testing the “goal” will always be a complex (and thus expensive) thing to do.

1 Like

per definition, if it happend naturally in nature. It’s not GMO. Or at least not according to the current definition of GMO

That’s interesting with bacteria, if you import extra genes for them and they don’t need them, after some generations they just kick them out.

the hope that if at some point there are no effective antibiotics and they are no longer used, the bacteria will throw out their resistance genes as superfluous.

even with some mosses that given extra genes, the moss itself has inactivated the extra genes.

@Fusion_power

Autumn olive are considered an invasive by many people now. The truth is the autumn olive fixes nitrogen in the soil which is why it’s invasive. The autumn berry is incredibly healthy. " They are high in vitamins A, C, and E, as well as lesser amounts of minerals such as phosphorous, magnesium, calcium, and potassium. They also contain iron as well as essential fatty acids and bioflavonoids. They are rich in ascorbic acid and have seventeen times the lycopene as ripe tomatoes." https://www.outdoorapothecary.com/autumn-olive-berries/ .Unfortunately autumn olives lack anthocyanins like the gmo tomatoes discussed here are rich in. Anthocyanins are the purple color those tomato contain which are typically expressed by experts as orac content. Aronia are very high in anthocyanins but taste bad Composition and antioxidant activity of anthocyanins from Aronia melanocarpa cultivated in Haicheng, Liaoning, China - ScienceDirect .Aronia are the healthiest fruit in the united states for anthocyanins according to the usda.

https://www.superberries.com/Aronia-Antioxidant-King

Orac content refers to prevention of cancer causing free radicals.
"
(https://www.scientificamerican.com/)

What Are ORAC Values?

Nutrition Diva: Quick and Dirty Tips for Eating Well and Feeling Fabulous

If you spend a lot of time reading about nutrition (which I do), it starts to feel as if we’re all in some sort of contest to see who can eat the most antioxidants. Those who are interested in (dare I say, obsessed with?) antioxidant nutrition will often talk about a food’s ORAC value. As in, “Wild blueberries have an ORAC value of 9,621, while regular blueberries only have an ORAC of 4,669!” What on earth are these people talking about?

ORAC stands for Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity. It’s a lab test that attempts to quantify the “total antioxidant capacity” (TAC) of a food by placing a sample of the food in a test tube, along with certain molecules that generate free radical activity and certain other molecules that are vulnerable to oxidation . After a while, they measure how well the sample protected the vulnerable molecules from oxidation by the free radicals. The less free radical damage there is, the higher the antioxidant capacity of the test substance. There are actually a handful of different tests designed to measure total antioxidant capacity in this way, but the ORAC is probably the best known and most popular."

People who practice alchemy refer to these purple foods like that gmo tomato as ormus or containing Monoatomic minerals. I’m not an alchemist but pointing out their beliefs regarding nutrition and minerals. As an example “phosphorus was discovered by German alchemist Hennig Brand in 1669”.

2 Likes

interesting about the golden rice there are so many discussions down to the smallest detail:

-Trojan horse for genetic engineering

• makes up only a small part of vitamin a
    -the whole grain would have enough vitamin A
  • is philanthropic because farmers with an annual turnover of less than 10,000 dollars do not have to pay any fees for it

and much more.

in other countries, foods made from GMO plants are daily life.

whether it is good or catastrophic can probably only be determined after 10
generations where the people who are supposed to examine it are long dead.

whether you plant rice with vitamin A or preliminary stages to produce it, or tomatoes with more healthy “dyes”…
at some point the hubris comes and you do something that you can no longer undo.

A lot of the new GMO crap is a scam. The seeds have been genetically modified to produce infertile seed. So over time as the traditional seed disappears the farmer has no choice but to buy seed every year from his GMO dealer. Making the farmer a slave to the GMO prices, because they will then have a lock on seed. It’s a trick to gain a monopoly control. Mexico and other countries are trying to outlaw it, but the US is pressuring everyone to use it.

2 Likes

if it brings advantages even if it is only profit in the end. it will prevail. approx. 60% of the seed market is dominated by the 3 big seed producers (dependency?) the small seed breeders are disappearing more and more.
but here it is generally the case that you have to pay for licensed seeds even for the offspring if they are the same as the motherplant

which is really ugly and the law goes along with it.

if you don’t have GMO plants, but you plants crossbreed with patented GMO plants by wind insects etc and the progeny have the patented traits,
or birds bring the GMO seeds to your field.
You can be sued and this often happens because you are planting patented property

The bottom line is breeding by natural means has worked for thousands of years. In a time when they say they will give you vaccines through your food, I’m afraid I don’t trust anything they produce. Have you seen Bill Gates new GMO chicken eggs? How odd his eggs come out at the same time as several major chicken factories go up in flames.

Chickens are dying by the millions from Avian Influenza. There is no conspiracy in this, wild birds spread it, chickens get it. We take our food for granted to the point people don’t even realize where food comes from.

2 Likes

Spoke with one of my friends this morning, who’s a USDA/APHIS/Veterinary Services technician… she’s currently working HPAI (high pathogenicity Avian Influenza) duty down in TN… they have dozens of premises affected at the moment… average of 20K birds per house, and many of these premises have multiple houses. If they get a positive PCR test result… every bird in that house is terminated and disposed of within 24 hrs… and, no, they don’t go to the processing plant, so supply is impacted, and there’s a significant $$ loss for both the poultry company, and, I presume, the contract grower.
And… as long as there are active HPAI cases & follow-up investigations on all nearby premises which may have poultry… states with positive cases are precluded from exporting poultry products of any sort. It’s very much an economic issue, in addition to the immediate impact on our food supply.

an example of why i think genetic techniques cannot be stopped.
where i think it will go 99% in that direction.

there are some genetic diseases, 50% of which are passed on to the child. there is the possibility of fertilizing an egg cell and doing a biopsy of it, a DNA analysis and you only use the egg cells that do not have the defective gene for the genetic disease. so you can be sure that the child will not has this disease. that’s a good thing i think.

only this same technique can also be used to select ova that have gens for a certain sex, hair color and eye color.
if you have enough money.

but now more and more genes and gene combinations are identified for example tendency for heart diseases, alcoholism…

you could use the same technique, only use the egg cells that have not this gene or genes.

but e.g. B. Some countries are working to find out which gene or gene combinations are responsible for intelligence. once you have figured out the riddle of intelligence genes. You could also use this techniques to select egg cells with that combination

And when that brings benefits, everyone wants the same benefits for their children.

but also strategically, if a country has many more super smart people who promote development, other countries have to do the same in order to remain competitive

it may not be like that for a few hundred years.

But then we have a monoculture of tall, beautiful, intelligent people.
it may not be directly inbred, but picking the same “best” gene combination is sort of inbred

and as has been shown with breeding before, something is being overlooked that makes us vulnerable

That’s true. Along with that 3-4 major processing and egg farms actually burned down. The latest a few days ago in the northeast. No conspiracy implied.

the only thing I can find is Bill Gates with his
Philanthrocapitalism to fight world hunger and disease especially with GMO.

there is a lot of discussion about it that i don’t want to mention all of them and i’m too lazy to read them all.

you can call me a conspiracy theorist, but i don’t believe in his philanthropy.

I don’t think that if you make rice produce vitamin A or if you introduce an extra gene a catastrophe will happen, but I think that at some point it will be push too hard…

I ask myself, someone can discuss this up to the end, but it will be done anyway.
and as a normal person you don’t really have anything to say.
one can warn and advise to be skeptical.
But if something goes wrong at least it wasn’t your fault

If the cat is out of the bag and you are trying to shut the barn door after the horse ran away, something is wrong with the perspective.

Genome editing has incredible potential, and also incredible risk. In the risk category is weaponizing genetics. There is no reason why an aspiring criminal with a bent for gene editing couldn’t churn out something a lot worse than Covid19.

What can I say, it is assumed that the Spanish flu is a derivative of the H1N1 virus with only a few mutations.
what made it so deadly.

So maybe I’m wrong, the couple of extra genes cause a small but deadly mutation.

I think the chance that you can use it as a weapon is very high. if you cause the right „mutations“ of viruses or…. when they found out what made the spanish flu so dangerous and could also transmit it to other viruses… I don’t think it’s that so unrealistic to use gen tech as a weapon

but still I can’t help it, if I would 1000% against GMO and sacrifice my life against it, it will happen anyway

:thinking: Interesting…