Bought my first fig tree, Finally

I should have never made a trip to the nursery last week as it is the end of summer here and all plants and trees are on sale. I bought a Ronde de Bordeaux Fig. I like green figs as well, which they had, but this fig looked very healthy. I know nothing about it. It is supposed to be roundish in shape, doesn’t mind the cold, and grows quickly. The best news is that it supposedly tastes good. Whoever grows this fig, please let me know if this information is accurate. It will grow quickly, as everything here does.

I finally found a Satsuma mandarine, but more about that later.

12 Likes

You will enjoy that fig, it has a rich berry flavor.

4 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Ronde de Bordeaux is a good fig! Soon you will be looking for more and more and more! Lots of great figs over there in France. Check out Thierry’s offerings at Figues du Monde. He has some very nice varieties.

4 Likes

Just a heads up: Thierry makes a lot of creative claims about the historical origins of his figs. He is quite a salesman! No doubt though, many of his varieties are excellent fruit.

6 Likes

Mrs. G.,
I have two Ronde de Bordeaux in pots. Productive and tasty figs. One pot is starting to ripen now. The other is not yet. When ripe, they are dark, round figs. Let them shriveled a bit, they are very nice.

For your area, no worry about cold weather. In my zone, they have died to the soil line when I left them in my garage over the winter. My garage can get cold below 0 Celcius (bottled water turned ice blocks).

I have to keep them in the unheated basement which never goes below 0 celcius. No died back that way.

9 Likes

Your figs look big and healthy. Taste? Richard said they have a bit of berry flavor to them. I like that. Hope it happens. My small tree has about 8 figs on it. Should I take them off? I’ll be potting it tomorrow. Overcast tonight and too many mosquitoes!

@mrsg47
For a contrasting variety, there is a race of figs known in Europe by different names: d’Or, Archipel, and a few others. They have a pronounced caramel flavor. Some references point to 1st millennia Anatolia as an origin.

1 Like

Nope. Figs are vigorous in your climate.

I’ve been doing a bit of research on my end. And Languedoc Roussillion is famous for their figs. I did not know that. I live there. My house is 14 minutes from the border of Provence. They are now considered fairly one and the same.

I am now looking to buy one green fig; looking at Firona.

2 Likes

Like this? They are in the “Adriatic” race, which the Italians and Greeks have been perfecting for centuries. And on that topic, another Italian race is “Dottato” (Pliny had them!) which we characterize here as “honey” figs.

images (3)

4 Likes

Fabulous! Food and History!

1 Like

This is a wonderful variety from Itri, in the province of Latina in Italy. My family has grown this fig for over a century. This variety is called by the Itri locals “Fico Turiën,” which it might translate from dialect Itrano to Italian to “Fico Troiano.” Not entirely sure on this though. All I know is that this was one of the absolute best figs in town when I was growing up. Light green outside, bright red inside, very sweet and delicious. I’ve been dreaming of growing this variety in the States, but our weather in 6b, along with lack of wasp, might not do this fig any favors. It tends to ripen after the second half of August in Itri, on the cusp of zone 9 and zone 10.

5 Likes

I purposely refer to “races”, because they have been propagated both sexually and asexually since ancient times.

1 Like

Nice fig! Do you know if anyone grows this in the U.S.? I’m in zone 9b with the wasp

1 Like

To my knowledge, nobody grows it in the States or I would have grabbed it myself. My family grows it in our farms in Central Western Italy. My understanding is that it’s a very localized variety in the area where I grew up. I’m not into illegal smuggling or I would have no problem getting some for myself here in the States. I’m a law-abiding citizen. :blush:

5 Likes

Hey, shout out to all the law abiding citizens out there!

2 Likes

I wrote this up about ‘Ronde De Bordeaux’ Ronde De Bordeaux (Bordeaux like) / Bountiful post area / Bountiful Figs

2 Likes

I got this puppy off my 3yr old Hardy Chicago yesterday:

It died to the ground over winter here in 6B and grew back and seems like they will all ripen within the next couple weeks.

I had a couple RdBs growing and they just didn’t make it and after trying a few varieties like Hardy Chicago, Verte, and Kadota and seeing how varied the flavors are I am quite satisfied with the collection I have. So, if for some weird reason RdB doesn’t work out, don’t give up until you try Hardy Chicago!

1 Like

I started one RDB from a cutting this winter and it just finally started to put on some impressive growth in the last week or so. I look forward to trying my first one as well. My advice to you is to do some serious research on the next few you buy because I know space is limited on the balcony and your one fig could easily turn into dozens by next year if you aren’t careful. I speak from experience… Congratulations!