Broadfork Opinions

Ouch!

Diablo, Milwaukee, and likely others make pruning specific blades such as this for removal of larger live wood.

1 Like

Thanks rossn, I appreciate the link!

Chalk up another vote for Meadow Creature. I’ve been using one for 6 years now and love it. It will certainly last a lifetime.

1 Like

Thanks for putting up that video. I have been looking for a fork that is not total garbage. Most of them have skinny welded tines that look like they will bend/break for no reason. Others seem to have poorly designed handles.
The one I grew up using looked like this https://sneeboerusa.com/product/digging-fork-4t-d-handle/ . It was made in the early 20th century, and was still going strong in the 80s and 90s. I am assuming it was made from 1095. Most of the manufacturers are not disclosing the steel up front, which is a red flag for me. If they are using quality steel, they usually can’t wait to tell you about it.
I am also looking at this fork https://www.claringtonforge.com/forks/garden-fork-with-long-handle , but I am concerned that the unreinforced YD handle will not hold up over time.

Does anyone have experience with these brands?

1 Like

We have several Clarington Forge shovels and forks. Bought them for longevity and size. I am 5 ft and husband is 5 ft 10 in. Husband has broken every wooden fork handle within 3 years (likely due to misuse/levering) so now we’re looking at solid steel handled forks (like King of Spades). Wooden handles easily replaced of course. If the fork is likely to get misused, then skip the wood handle.

1 Like

I like the long socket on the Clarington Forge, but it confuses me why they would put such a crappy handle on it. I could probably replace the handle, and it would still be cheaper than the Sneeboer. The effort and possibility that I may screw up the installation should also be considered.

For me this tool is indispensble for heavy duty work. Mattock.Mattock

1 Like

Yeah, I have one. I want the fork to move some trees and shrubs with minimal damage to the roots. Also for root aeration on a flat compacted area of lawn, where water puddles. A good fork will do that, and work like a spade. Unfortunately, a sibling will inherit the fork I grew up using.