Broadfork Opinions

I’m considering purchasing a broadfork to help de-compact my yard. I’ve used the Meadow Creature broadforks in the past and liked them a lot. Does anyone have any experience with the Treadlite forks? They look intriguing, but their marketing copy, and ads that have names that sound suspiciously like meadow creature, make me a little skeptical.

Are there any other heavy-duty models I should be aware of? This will be more like breaking new ground than maintaining an established bed, so I think the Johnny’s models and the like won’t be quite up to the task.

3 Likes

The Red Pig tools version might be up to the task, if a little extravagant. I love their hand tools. Best hoes I’ve ever used!

1 Like

This guy like this better.

2 Likes

I agree with him on context. That being said, my context is about .15 acres that have been run over by heavy machinery and with lots of leftover tree roots! My poor little digging fork just isn’t up to the task. I’ve used both, and I find the broadfork handles rough soils better, and I can cover ground more than twice as fast. The digging fork works pretty well on established beds where the soil is in decent shape, or for small areas. Anything other than that, the going is very slow, and the tines get bent out of shape quickly.

Broadfork is definitely heavier, but it’s not really an issue if you drag it backwards rather than lift to reposition. Also, the weight of the tool works in your favor getting in to the soil.

3 Likes

I’ve used the meadow creature for ~3 years now and love it! As I am sure you know, large roots are going to be a problem regardless of the tool you use.

1 Like

This is my beloved tool for the orchard. Cutting any branches for grafting and pruning. Dig a planting hole with large root and cut it in seconds. So powerful. 5 seconds of changing the wood blade to metal blade and nothing stands in its way. :blush:!

6 Likes

That’ll definitely do it!

@ZombieFruit yeah, big roots won’t budge! At least I’m not strong enough to break a broadfork on them. I could probably do in a digging fork, though…

2 Likes

My tool of choice is this one.
I removed many tree stumps and roots with it.

http://theslammertool.com. Broad forks have no chance in my heavy clay and rock soil.

Here’s another tool you might like - but nowhere near @jcguarneri’s broadfork.

I remember a book on intensive gardening that had a homemade fork-like device for loosening the soil quite deep without trying to turn it. But that was in build up beds with perfect soil. Most of us are going to need a sturdier device from time to time.

2 Likes

Ever seen these before?

1 Like

A mattock might be useful for dealing with some of those leftover tree roots.

1 Like

I got mine from valley oak tool co. It is heavy duty and well built. I have used it less after the first couple years since the souls has not seemed as compacted.

1 Like

You prune larger branches with your sawzall?
Does it make clean cuts, or do you have to do any other trimming to the cut?

1 Like

A very clean cut.

2 Likes

I was thinking about one from Treadlite myself, haven’t pulled the trigger though. I also had tree removal last year and the soil got very compacted

1 Like

That’s great to know, thank you. I will pick up some new blades for ours.

1 Like

I love my meadow creature. Had it for at least five years now. For the roots and large shale I’ll use a mattock, or digging iron to pry them out. Don’t know of any other broadforks that can stand up to the abuse like the meadow creature.
-Nick

1 Like

Sounds like the Meadow Creature is the favorite for now. Some of those other tools are neat, too! At this point I’m less concerned with removing the tree roots, I plan to just work around them.

I’ve had a 14" meadow creature for about 10 years. I leave it stuck out in the field year round and it is still 100% solid with just a little cosmetic rust. Tried my damndest to break the thing, not a chance. I don’t usually go full depth, it is still quite a workout to use because I pick it up chest high to drive it into the ground and take big bites to make the job quicker.

1 Like

No match for Arkansas rock garden, $65.00 down the drain.

Tines broken, handle broken, money gone! Wore out several picks, wore out by half? Talking about rough stuff, you guys got it made.

3 Likes