Budding out way too early?

I have my doubts on these.

1 Like

Cherry? plum? What is it?

1 Like

Use this document to help answer that: https://extension.usu.edu/productionhort/files-ou/CriticalTemperaturesFruitTrees.pdf

3 Likes

The first picture is plum the other two are pluots.

I wish that document had pictures for the plum phases.

Hope they make it! Buds are way more resilient than blooms but not sure how pluots or plums react to that type of coldā€¦

Thursday night and Friday night are going to be cold here. Only a few things besides my Anjou pear have shown major signs of life so not that big of a deal here yetā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m a visual learner. I like to use this chart when reading your comments.

CriticalTemperaturesFruitTrees.pdf (2.4 MB)

2 Likes

Pictures of Euro plum at least.

1 Like

Graftman, per the chart, you will likely see notable losses, but thereā€™s a decent chance some will survive.

It was 12Ā°F this morning in Clarksville, MD.

1 Like

15 degrees when I left home for work this morning in Monterey, TN :cold_face:

2 Likes

Only 19 there now and it is 20 here where I work! Guess we will have to wait just a bit before we start today :thinking::smile:

1 Like

I only have VERY earliest bud swell on a PF-25 peach so far. Per the chart I may lose a couple buds, but I think Iā€™ll be mostly ok as of now.

1 Like

Youā€™ll get some ā€˜fast setā€™ on that mortar in these temps, eh? Actually Iā€™d expect the sand to be too frozen to put in a mixer!
Was 14 here at 6 a.m.

1 Like

We heat the water and keep the sand covered always. We also heat the areas where we are working and use propane torches (weed burner type) to heat the material up and dry it out as needed. Also use accelerator in our mortar to help it set up quicker :+1: We as masons never usually miss a day for rain/snow or coldā€¦ It is great for the paycheck but a day off now and then sure would be nice :laughing:

2 Likes

18 deg here and for a few hours. I havenā€™t been outside yet. Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll see a bit of damage.

1 Like

Iā€™ve tried caulking in cold weather and the results are not that great.

Around here i think most concrete work just stops. A relative of mine was a bricklayer and i believe this time of year they were just laid offā€¦good job but i know it was killer on his knees (now retired).

Ume plums in central Tokyo are in full bloomā€¦

1 Like

I have been a bricklayer most of my life. The only job I have ever had in fact :relaxed: My dad is a bricklayer as well and just about to retire in a year or so himself. We do commercial jobs that are usually fairly good size. We are on a job with 70 people at the moment.

3 Likes

P. americana down the street has bloomed.

Black Ice will probably bloom tomorrow, if not by end of day.

I am already a month behind on the garden work.

3 Likes