Buds Flowers and Fruit - 2023 Edition

Great. Please excuse my lack of knowledge.

2 Likes

First harvest of the year!

JoanJ
Cascade Gold
Snowchaser
Springhigh
Southmoon

13 Likes

Raspberries… strawberry… new bed of Earliglow strawberries… pulling blossoms and runners off now. Will allow to fruit next spring.

15 Likes

Strange flower? pawpaw…

5 Likes

Having grilled ribeye and hamburger steaks… with our salads.

6 Likes

Mara des bois strawberry First Harvest 05-20-23 :smile:.

16 Likes

I have a couple of new to me,fruit growing.A probable cross between Nadia and Candy Heart Pluerry,from @RichSV .This is where your scions came from @John_P and anyone else these were sent to,so maybe in a year or two.This might be the only fruit right now.There were more flowers than ever this season.
The other was from a branch,someone brought into a scion exchange,a few years ago,called,Tom’s Sweet Tart Plum.

Nadia/Candy Heart

Tom’s Sweet Tart

8 Likes

That is exciting, another plum cherry mix. Rich actually also gave me some scion but you gave me a bigger one. All of your scion and Rich’s scion took and growing well. I’m hoping to get fruit too next year. That fruit looks big, keep us posted.

1 Like

Oh goodie, mine are ripening too!!!

1 Like

The seed parent is Candy Heart, the pollen parent could be Nadia. The flavor is much more intense than Candy Heart, kind of watermelon citrusy. This fruit, on the small size, makes excellent jam, smooth blackberry like flavor without too much tartness. Candy Heart on the other hand makes bland jam.

My plumogranate seedling, now a very small tree has four fruit developing on it. Photos will follow soon.

2 Likes

HRs. Dependable producer of nice raspberries.

11 Likes

Gerardi mulberry and sweet scarlet goumi.

11 Likes

No pics at this time - just a big “Whaaaaat’s going on?”

I am quite disappointed in my overall fruit set this year. And I was just wondering if anybody else has had the same problem. ??? My peach trees were covered with fruit last year. This year - probably a total of 20 peaches? A little better with nectarines, but not much. No need to thin - there’s nothing but a few ‘mummies’ to remove. Even my apples are very few in number.
Could it all be due to frozen blooms?
This just isn’t my year! I’ll be hitting the farmer’s market this summer! Darn.

• Karen
2 Likes

@PomGranny … lost my plums to a couple nights of mid 20s back mid march… and some of my blueberries got frosted too… not all but some.

I have early mc, novamac and goldrush apples… descent crop… if only i can get them and not the squirrels.

Nice raspberry crop coming in now… and the next 3 or 4 weeks… then blueberries and blackberries look good.

My loganberry canes got killed by 3f this winter… no crop this year but lots of nice primocanes coming out now… hopefully better luck next year.

Figs persimmons jujube should be good late summer/fall.

I grafted a bunch of nice american and hybrid persimmons this year… in a few years should be overloaded with persimmons. Nice thing about persimmons… they bloom quite late… should be very rare if ever to loose persimmon crop to frost… and no spray fruit + delicious fruit.

Got rid of my peaches… added persimmons. Good move for me.

3 Likes

I’ll likely have plenty of blueberries this year. A late freeze got them last year…

Not as many blackberries this year, a lot of cane die back. Either the -1F event in late December or perhaps a cold spell after they started waking up.

Perhaps 8 peaches total from 2 trees. Was hopeful a few other new-to-me trees would fruit but just too many late cold spells for any reliability with peaches here…

Am expecting 60 to 70 apples grand total from 9 trees. Too much pruning… of the 4-legged variety. Will have a proper deer fence completed before this year is out!

My lone Montmorency Cherry tree has perhaps a dozen cherries and the birds will get all of those any day now. Cold got the rest…

Plum trees died, pear trees succumbed to buck rubs. Some “start over” happening there… No persimmons big enough to fruit yet. Gonna have some pawpaws on the native trees looks like.

You know the old adage “there’s always next year!”

2 Likes

Yes, Wendel. Sounds about right . . . 8 peaches from 2 trees. Ugh.
And then I think about the people that depend on these ‘harvests’ for a living. I don’t know how they do it. :worried: It’s such an unpredictable endeavor. FOR SURE.

@TNHunter - Trev, those raspberries are so pretty! What variety are they? I have some that were advertised as ‘bush’. No way, Jose. I do get some berries from them . . . but not very many. Enough to put in my cereal - a couple of times

1 Like

bleeding hearts, and new growth on the coffee plant

4 Likes

@PomGranny … Heritage reds.

They are probably not the sweetest raspberry but have good raspberry flavor… produce lots of fruit here spring and fall… and are so easy to propigate from root shoots.

I bought 3 in 2020… bet i have 50 now.

2 Likes

Looks like my Carrie mango set several fruit. We will see if it holds onto them. Had a lot of flies visit the flowers, so that is probably the pollination source.

14 Likes

Most of the Arbutus unedo bushes in my neighborhood look to have set a good amount of fruit in their first flowering. They usually flower 3+ times from spring to late summer.

8 Likes