Buds Flowers and Fruit - 2023 Edition

Same here Phil. I can’t remember such a warm, sunny, rain free stretch of weather during bloom ever before. Fruit set is unusually high. Apricots are crazy. I am intimidated at the prospect of so much thinning to be done.

Here is a third year scion that @Stan sells of an Anya apricot seeding, Tatiana:

13 Likes

French or Italian Prune graft ? Sets fruit first time.

I am also looking for Less sweet more tart plum to dehydrate which we use in some cooking. Any suggestion please ?

7 Likes

I’ve been thinning every day. It’s large task this year!

1 Like

Two more discoveries in the garden.A General Hand and Sierra Plum were purchased from the Arboreum,well over five years ago,but have never fruited.
While doing some grafting,near them,I took a break,stretched and looked up in the Sierra tree and wondered,when will this fruit?Then this came into view.

Then I decided to check the smaller European Gage.So,laying on the ground and looking in the branches,there was also a fruit.Hey,it’s a start.

8 Likes

Damson? No firsthand experience but I understand they are very flavorful, not sweet, and used for making jellies, jams and preserves.

3 Likes

We do have palms! Not all varieties . . . but ‘Windmill Palms’. And a few others whose names I don’t know. In years past - they needed to be very well protected. Most of ours are on the southern exposure side of the house. Now . . . it seems they all do well, no matter what. ??? Maybe the roots just had to dig deep enough? Maybe it’s warmer? - - - Warmer??? This winter sure didn’t seem so! “Whatever!”
:roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Black Pakistan mulberries

13 Likes

Thanks for suggesting I will graft this next season.

3 Likes

Heritage reds… and Super Sweet 100.

15 Likes

1st time this cactus has bloomed.

10 Likes

Looks like you’re a week ahead. I also planted supersweet, just flowering now.

1 Like

I love the rhododendrons in the Lake District, England, I don’t think I can grow them in my backyard.

8 Likes

Visit Washington to see many more.The state flower.They’re so common here,I pass them by.

2 Likes

Mara des bois : With dry weather last couple of days these are best tasting strawberries. Picking morning and evening.

14 Likes

Looks like it’s thyme for flowers!

The dark purple one in the patio cracks is a purple elfin thyme, the light pink/white one was started from a sprig of fresh culinary thyme from the grocery store that I rooted, so I have no idea what cultivar or type that is.

The creeping thyme hasn’t started flowering yet, but looks like it will soon.

8 Likes

My son gave me this lily in 2014, for Mother’s Day. We sold the house where I had planted it, but took the lily with us. It is huge, now. Loves its spot, in the dappled light under a cherry tree.

9 Likes

@Naeem can you compare the flavor to Earliglow?

I just picked bout 3lbs yesterday…couple seascape berries in there as well, but those plants are all getting removed & replaced after this season. Looking for another variety to try.

8 Likes

Clove currant…unlike any flower I’ve ever smelled. Quite spicy. Can’t wait to try the fruit!

9 Likes

I heard lot of good things about Earliglow unfortunately I do not have to compare. Earliglow is next on my list. One thing to remember about Mara des bois it is very small in size but pack of full flavor.
Someone who is growing both can put comparison about these.

3 Likes

Peonies are showing off now!

9 Likes