Buds Flowers and Fruit - 2023 Edition

A couple more pics for peak bloom of these varieties

11 Likes

brugmansia is back from the deaf, peas trying real hard, sumac starting up, berries. an apple graft that’s confused.

giant poppies, squash blossoms, honeysuckle, and a happy pawpaw

7 Likes

Beautiful .

1 Like

Van and Lapin Cherries starting to color up.

22 Likes

I finally bought some hiking boots and went for 2.5 hours hike, my body will be sore tonight. But I like wild flowers here, so green, my sensory is overloaded, so many different shades of green.

17 Likes

Love that last photo. It is so rich and full of life and color. Beautiful.

1 Like

Lovely composition. You got the mountain, hills, water, sky. Very nice.

2 Likes

How green is my valley.

2 Likes

Another big harvest!

13 Likes

Salvia miltiorrhiza

Vicia faba

6 Likes

Early golden plum. Kinda nice has a good apricot flavor.

14 Likes

Did second thinning on my multi grafted plums , peaches and nectarine over weekend. Removed a lot about 500 plums and 500 peaches but still need to thin more on plums. Pictures below are after thinning :smile:.

21 Likes

I’d thin at least 50% more :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Seems like the work of thinning is never going to be finished… Then one day, you finally get there.

3 Likes

Have been thinning pears for couple of weeks, little bit every day. Now I finished bagging them

8 Likes

Are you going to do something with them?

I let them sit where they fall, unless its inside my shirt or something. If I get enough at one go, it can make the footing a little precarious :slight_smile:

6 Likes

@murky

That’s hilarious. I just did the marble walk over a bunch of peaches i thinned out.

5 Likes

Finally moment of truth picked first time decent amount of sweet cherries ( Van and Lapin ) from 6 year old multi grafted tree. Flavor is very refreshing & sweet :smile:. Also there is a war going on with birds and so far they took about 20% but I do not mind sharing if they leave some for us. Also reflection tape is helping out some.

21 Likes

How big is your tree and do you spray? I started planting some romance cherries but hoping to plant some sweet varieties as well in zone 7a.

1 Like

we used to thin an old abandoned orchard by the house where I grew up. we tied a bucket to our belt and threw all the thinned fruit into it, when it was full we would dump it out at the base of a tree. less marbles on the ground to trip over.

we picked the apples the same way when they were ready, tied a bucket to the belt and go walk and pick. when it was full we were done for the day (it wasn’t anybody’s orchard so we were just doing the minimum to get a few buckets of old apples out of it every year)

that was in stockertown pa. I wonder if it’s owned now or is still there. I might email an old friend still living by it and ask, they were damn old trees the big house near was built in the 1600s. some gleaners nearby might like to know about it, it was a kid’s secret in the neighborhood. I’ve never seen apples like those anywhere since, heavy russet, golden red streaks, crunchy sweet bland at first then really deep flavors after they sat a while. no bugs seemed to touch em.

4 Likes