Buds Flowers and Fruit - 2024 Edition

The photos don’t show much, but all my Flavor Grenade pluots are a lighter green with many starting to get a spot of red blush usually at the tip or along the “seam”.

Also the skin is a bit bumpy on the fruit. I assume this is normal.

I will pull one when I get home this evening to try and get a weight and taste. I’m impressed at their size, especially as other plum like Santa Rosa, are really small.

10 Likes

Another load of climax rabbiteyes this evening.

Concords in background.

13 Likes

Rolling River Red. Over half cracked, but those that didnt have sweet cherry/plum flavor with thick snappy skin. Very tasty. The only plum that has shown black knot in my orchard.

11 Likes

Made 2 half pints of blueberry jam tonight.

6 Likes

My 2024 apple crop is looking very promising at this point. I have a little bit of CAR . . . but go around plucking off leaves. Not a big problem yet. Some of my 2021-22 scions are producing apples and that is exciting! Thanks to all who shared scions with me!

Have Monarks and Macouns for the first time. Winecrisps too. Sadly, none of my coveted Eso Spitz scions survived the fireblight ‘epidemic’ of last year. :cry: But, I quickly cut them down past the infection - and at least it did not spread into the original tree.

Still waiting on certain slow producers to pan out . . . Sinta. Arkansas Black. Akane. American Golden Russet - are a few. Their tardiness may be due to their location on the tree. I may cut scions from the scions this winter and regraft to a higher branch on the trees.

Lookin’ Good . . . pics below.

We netted our favorite stone fruit trees over the past few weekends . . and in the process ‘unintentionally’ further thinned the developing fruit. Yesterday I discovered one of my only 2 Yum Yum nectarines was dangling by a torn stem. Sigh. All hope is riding on that last one - to get a taste of ‘YumYum’ this summer. Darn! And it was so pretty!

10 Likes

Starlings’ assorted selection.

All of these were planted by birds. The ones on the left are the size of decent commercial varieties, just richer in flavour and will get propagated. The ones on the right, both pale and red are translucent. In sunlight, they look like garnets and you can actually see the pits. Some of the smaller red and dark ones are nothing you’d choose to eat twice, but it’s fun to see and taste what the birds dragged in. There are plenty of huge heirloom cherry trees in the region both in villages and lining the roads. I guess the small stuff comes from the oak and beech forests about 3km away and those trees also grow like crazy. Some that we’ve taken out in late winter had fruit the size of dried peas.

8 Likes

I have an interesting non-commercial plumcot that has just ripened enough to pick today.

It is a P. salicina x P fremontii hybrid that has wonderful quality in spite of its male parent being the ‘desert apricot’ endemic to the Palm Springs, CA region.

The fruit are certainly not of commercial size, but the skin is only slightly acidic and without any astringency. Firm flesh of these fruiit brixed at 19.0 this morning. Quite nice for breakfast!

P. fremontii fruit flesh is just a few mm thick and hardly worthy of tasting when fully ripe. We found that taking it from its desert environment and placing it under irrigation and with good cultural conditions did little to improve the fruit size or quality.

7 Likes

Marianna 2624. Quite sour, little flavor.

Turkish pink. Faint Musky strawberry flavor. Sweet, but not sweet enough.

6 Likes

Black Tartarian cherry

First tomatoes growing already.

7 Likes

A quick pick this evening… mulberries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries.

7 Likes

golden honey watermelon @ 57 days since transplant

11 Likes

Nice, my watermelons are way behind because last year when I directly seeded pillbugs kept eating them, so I kept them from the ground for a long time. Taking off nicely now, hoping for a few full sized melons this year since last year I only got a couple small ones. Growing orangeglo and lemon drop

2 Likes

7 Likes

Glendale ripening up

4 Likes

Elders… these are wild TN elders that I transplanted to my field.

Crandall clove currants… started them this spring… so these are first year fruits. Initally they were just quite sour… today these tasted a little better… like some sweetness might be coming on too.

Nothing near a concord grape yet… perhaps next year.

7 Likes

They taste much better when darker and with ants. :slight_smile:
Mine are a disappointment this year. We lost about 4/5 of the berries following the last frost and ants are elsewhere.

3 Likes

I only had one crandall and I ate it underripe because something got the other one and it was pretty astringent, hope they improve

2 Likes

i got both of those planted as well but they are growing slowly as its pretty cool here. i probably wont get fruit. i meant to start them indoors but got busy. i also planted Georgia candy roaster squash. those grew quickly so hoping to get a few squash from them. read good reviews about them got some upper 80’s- low 90’s coming midweek next week so that should get them going good.

1 Like

mine set out suckers and grew into 6ft. wide hedge. many flowers so should have a good crop this summer.

1 Like

I have all but given up growing squash, as I refuse to spray and since the first year growing squash have yet to get a single squash before vine borers take them out.