Buds Flowers and Fruit - 2024 Edition

I wonder if pastureland can be fenced in (to keep out livestock) and planted with trees, though? I’ve seen some things about efforts to re-wild some pastureland in the UK and Ireland, and I know it can be hard to get permission sometimes, but that could be one route to fruit trees, being part of a food forest disguised as a rewilding effort.

If you really like rowans and hedlundias (I do), you should be fine… :slight_smile:

One blueberry on my Jelly Bean plant. I also up-potted it to a roughly 25 gallon old cattle feed tub. It has about 60% peat, 30% pine bark, and 10% potting mix.

6 Likes

Top to bottom: 1st and smallish fruit of unknown variety of thornless blackberry (from way back when thornless was a variety), wild and very thorny blackberry and European dewberry which reminds me of childhood and railroad tracks. We have made a decission with the neighbour to let the dewberry grow on our shared fence. It is a mess, but that’s what you get when Northern forest foragers meet in the wine growing South…

9 Likes

Solanum burbankii (wonderberry) sizing up real nice. If I didn’t have it on a screened in porch it would probably be loaded, but a racoon or possum likes to dig in pots here.

4 Likes

i absolutely love my northern dewberries. they are bigger than any blackberry i can grow here and have the perfect tart/ sweet balance. where i planted them they struggled, i think with root rot so i put them in another spot and they took right off. only 1 cane about 10ft long so far but is loaded with blossoms every inch or so. i hope they all set. pushing several new canes as well.

1 Like

These figs are so sugary it’s hard to eat more than one.

11 Likes

:slight_smile: These are much larger in the cooler wetter North, but never as large as my thornless blackberry. The flavour is very different (disregarding sweetness) even compared with underripe blackberry. They don’t really spread outside of disturbed land or harsh conditions up in the North, but here, with understory vegetation taking a hit and exposing land in summers and droughts, they can be a real pest. I think they root every time I breathe out…The fence is where they don’t trip me or tangle up the ducks, so they can stay and be grazed.

1 Like

thornless blackberries don’t survive here unless protected and buried in the snow so dewberries are all i have. they tip root easily but aren’t invasive at all. my nelson blackberries are productive , tasty and hardy but they have inch long thorns on every inch of the huge (2m) canes. almost need welding gloves to pick them our you come out looking like you fought a feral cat and spend a week digging out spines out of your arms. my dewberries thorns are more like a spiny raspberry than a blackberry and can be handled without gloves if youre careful.

2 Likes

How do you overwinter yours?

My ozark premier trees needed some help this year. They have an overall vase shape but sprawl out compared to my other varieties. Should prune them back significantly next year, but it hurts after seeing this fruit.

10 Likes

Found first blush on tomato after got home from work last night. Unusually warm 100+ temps last few days here at 6000’ elevation.

3 Likes

I have a greenhouse.

1 Like

Heated I’m assuming?

Here’s his greenhouse thread, it’s a really nice greenhouse! Much nicer looking than my dingy/cluttered one.

2 Likes

Wow, those grey peaches are strange. How is the flavor on them?

At my house we’re obsessed with peach salsa. Sweet, spicy and acidic and goes on/in everything. Chicken, chips, salad, fish etc. If they’re too watered down for fresh eating though, maybe use them in baking? I remember peach upside down cake from my childhood, and my grandma did a peach bread once that was awesome… Peach chutney is a delicious thing that I’ve eaten but never actually made before, but it’s a lot more than just the peaches and it’s cooked, so I don’t think the wateriness would be an issue.

Other than that, at my house any excess fruit and veg after we put up what we need goes to the farmers market or to the food bank. Most markets will let you rent a space for a single week if you’ve got a specialty crop like fruit, or if you know one of the other vendors you can ask them to sell your stuff for you and just drop it off. I do that with someone up in South Boston sometimes if she or I gets sick or needs a week off, just sell for each other. The manager at that market is pretty chill though, and you should definitely check if it’s ok first. The food bank is where we drop off anything we can’t sell as long as it’s not at any risk of going bad.

Waneta starting to ripen:

10 Likes

Williams pride

13 brix.

Toka:

13 Likes

Tonight’s haul:

Probably 5 or so Arkansas thornless blackberry varieties, wineberries (starting to wind down), pink lemonade/titan/climax blueberries and a few others I don’t know the name of. “Horse” apples.

7 Likes

First fruits from artic babe nectarine. Not too impressed, better than store bought nectarines still.

The only sauzee king nectarine I got this year. 2nd year it produced fruits Lost the rest to poor pollination and animals. Great tasting nectarine though.

10 Likes