Buds Flowers and Fruit - 2024 Edition

the scion you sent me is flowering in the greenhouse

my key lime(singular,) still isn’t ripe

my crocus bloomed, and I didn’t get to see it. the outdoors here is so neglected right now. I’m just now starting the spring clean I usually do in late Feb/early March

7 Likes

I forget what variety I sent, is that Aravaipa? That’s what it looks like to me at least. If so, it’s way ahead of Aravaipa here! Do you want me to try to mail you some pollen (send a PM if so)? It should be self-fertile, but you need to collect pollen and apply pollen at different times of day, so that’s another option.

1 Like

that would be amazing! there’s no other avocado flowering although all survived and are getting new growth.

1 Like

First blooms of the year today on a homegrown seedling of Anya apricot

Harcot right behind…

11 Likes

@Shibumi … Burnt Ridge has two serviceberry… one gets 8-10 ft… the other tops out around 6 ft.

I planted those today here… and a montmorency cherry that I got from them.

https://www.burntridgenursery.com/mobile/Serviceberry-Bushes/products/35/

3 Likes

Busy as a bee today…

With the number of flowers opening and closing throughout the day each day, I’m struggling to catch them all in their first time open (pollen receptive). Some mason bees come tomorrow, but the last ones took off without saying goodbye, so I’m not overly hopeful these ones will be effectively trapped in the greenhouse either. Opening the doors helps a bit, though, and the mandarin is on the verge of flowering, hopefully that scent will draw more things in.

6 Likes

Your trees and berries seem to bloom 2 weeks ahead of mine. My serviceberry is still completely dormant. I just got this one for next to nothing this year.

1 Like

Scotia Elderberry yesterday:

Waiting on this Black Arkansas Apple to bloom - in its 2nd season:

White Imperial Currant:

2 Likes

I feel like I’m so far behind everyone… I’m in the warmest pocket of the UK’s south coast, but the microclimate means I get a weird, slow start ).

Here’s tart cherry “Morello”:

And here’s sweet cherry “Stardust”:

5 Likes

@manyasfigs25 … that pic is of a wild serviceberry… the oldtimers here call them sarvice.

The wild ones do bloom early… unless you have a wild plum… sarvice is normally the first wild tree to bloom… then redbuds … then dogwoods.

In some years the red buds and sarvice will start blooming about the same time… and in other years sarvice may be a week or two earlier.

Not sure about the two I bought from Burnt Ridge… they are not southern sarvice… so may bloom different time.

The Regent variety (6 footer) is from North Dakota.

Oh, so now I’m really thinking…

Thanks

my trees are slow too, about like yours.

3 Likes

I am hopeful:
Peach:

Cherry:

Pluot:

Pluots:

8 Likes

Wow, I would just grow these to see this bloom every year!!!

4 Likes

Catherine Bunnell has set good fruit in spite of a couple hard freezes during its bloom;

7 Likes

Our Hosui pear is budding / blossoming for the first time (we planted it last year). Last year, we got a frost in May, and we are expecting snow tomorrow here in the Boston suburbs. At what point in bud development do I begin to worry about watching for frosts, and what’s the best solution (warm christmas lights?)

(Edit: or are these all just leafs?)

3 Likes

Juliet Cherry bush.

8 Likes

The fatter ones look like flower clusters to me. Maybe 3 in the first pic and 5 in the second pic.

It’s easier to tell looking directly at it, instead of from the side. You should see something like a squished honeycomb arrangement at this stage. It will be very apparent soon.

If you are looking for later hybrid bloomers for pollination, La Crescent is late and blooms well but isn’t great for fresh eating. Makes good apricot flavored jam, though. Vermont is later and tastes good also. Gracious and/or Kahinta might be a bit late also. For Asians, Au Rosa seems like a later bloomer for me.

When do Shiro and Toka bloom relative to each other?