Buds , Flowers and Fruits 2022 Edition!

Yeah even I was surprised, since it said July harvest, everywhere I read. This pic was from a week ago.

It seems like there is a secondary crop from the laterals that started late and towards the bottom half. Not sure if they will size up well, since primocanes are taking over.

5 Likes

They look wonderful and I bet they taste wild!

1 Like

so much lettuce, radish and spinach. the poppies are going wild too

7 Likes

I’m staying at an Airbnb in Oakland CA, and was pleasantly surprised to see a feijoa bush flowering in the front yard:

The back yard has a few fruit trees I recognize (apple, cherry), and a few that I don’t recognize, like this one:

Any ideas?

2 Likes

never thought to add chia. could you PM me the recipe.

Maybe an Elaeagnus species?

1 Like

@steveb4

Picked enough black rasp and a few HRs… to make a pint of paleo chia jam today.

2.5 cups of most fruit works well for this low and natural less refined sugar jam.

We use organic coconut palm sugar or organic Maple syrup or a combo of the two.
4 to 6 tablespoons works well… we did 5 in this batch since it was made with mostly black rasp… which are pretty sweet already.

Juice from half a lemon and 2 tablespoons chia seeds.

It is simple…

Sauce pan on medium heat… put your fruit in… and stir occasionally until it starts to simmer… and continue simmering and stirring for 8 min… then take it off the heat.

Let it cool 5 min…

Add juice of half lemon
Your choice and amount of sweetener.
2 tablespoons chia seeds.

Stir… pour in pint jar…

Refrigerate and eat or freeze and keep.

Here is a good youtube example.

7 Likes

This could be put or posted at Fruit in the Kitchen category.

Making another pint on my lunch hour… a mix of Loganberry and black rasp…

Mmmmm

There you go… 1 pint of Loganerry / black rasp chia jam made on my lunch hour.

Color pretty much identical.

6 Likes

Wild Iris is in full bloom.

This is a very impressive clump, foot for scale

6 Likes

Hi, can you please move this to FRUIT IN THE kitchen, so we can get the recipe. Thanks!

iris, a buddy in my plum tree, the Arabica houseplant coffee daydream, and peas getting started

edit the coffee is not named daydream I just call it that because I know it’s not realistic to think I’ll get coffee to drink from it

5 Likes

@Bradybb and @mrsg47 and @steveb4 — I posted the Low Sugar Chia Jam details in the Fruit in the Kitchen section.

Thanks

4 Likes

Sweet peas, about 1/3 the way up the trellis now. Behind them - a few potted figs, and in front greek basil and marjoram.

4 Likes

Another variety via budwood from ARS after reading @Richard’s post - Easter Egg mulberry

I can understand why it is rated highly - sweet with mild, pleasant flavor. I need to wait until next year to better evaluate it. I wouldn’t rate it above Pakistan as of now

10 Likes

@californicus
Oh wow, I’m really glad you obtained that one. Its flavor (at Wolfskill) is a bit unique - not a sugar-sweet white like some of the other lavender colored fruits. For those who have room, I recommend growing it for variety.

Speaking of tastings at ARS - today I was chatting on the phone with one of the horticulturists about leaf samples for my genetics projects. Anyway they mentioned that tastings might resume next year. The tastings stopped not only due to COVID, but also a number of retirements over the past 2 years. They hope that by December a new director will be installed to fill that vacancy.

1 Like

Wonderful, I’m looking forward to attending one next year. Haven’t been there other than reading others’ posts on GF and CRFG mailing lists.

Easter Egg is a slow grower for me but I’ll distribute it as much as I can. Hopefully, it gets to the same quality as your description by next year. @Marta also sent me a scion and distributed it to others as well.

2 Likes

Loquat var Peluche

Super sweet! :yum:

9 Likes

Picked some reds blacks and a few nice logans (on top)… jam session… after work today.

6 Likes

Olallieberry chicken

6 Likes