Buds , Flowers and Fruits 2022 Edition!

I can not stop taking picture of these crocus , now fully bloomed will last for few days :heart_eyes:.

15 Likes

Do you eat the fruit?

2 Likes

I don’t have a tree myself, but from what I’ve seen with the trees on my street, they rarely produce more than a handful of fruit. They taste fine, but nothing spectacular. I think they are primarily ornamental.

3 Likes

That sort of looks like Sweetcrisp,with the branch habit going every which way.Yes,seeing the fruit,for me is the best identifier.

1 Like

I’m trialing @fruitgrower’s early sport of Flavor King. This is from March 5 on the same Emerald Drop host tree. The first two limbs are regular FKs budded in 2020 summer which only started growing last year. The last one is “FK Early” from Jon grafted last year. The bloom period perfectly overlaps. Let’s see when do these ripen.

11 Likes

Calanthe

10 Likes

This is the first I recall hearing of this sport. How much earlier is it? Did he discover it?

Gerardi mulberrry…

2 Likes

Apricot and Plum / Pluot in full bloom. Pluot has too much Cicadas damage and 90% fruiting wood need to be removed.

Apricot bees are busy.

Multi Grafted Pluot .

Burbank Plum .

16 Likes

Is the removal of cicada damaged branches necessary? Is it cosmetic, or a portal for infection? Many of my branches have been mutilated by the cicadas, but the scar appears healed and dry, with no evidence of fungus. Well some of the branches have been weakened and are curling, others appear strong and straight. Do you recommend removal of all of them? They will probably reduce my biomass by 60% on some of my smaller trees

2 Likes

No cosmetic or infection issue just branches are very weak and will not hold fruit weight.

I will remove only too damaged branches and leave all branches which are strong and healing good.

1 Like

Thank you

It rained last night, I went out and took some pictures of my flowers after the rain.
Dutch Iris

Over the Moon, new rose for my garden

Secret

We’ve been eating blackberries, they grew out of the cement wall

12 Likes

I don’t have more info than the link above where Jon mentions the ripening time and the flavor of the fruit. I think he sent scions to a few already. We can confirm the sport in different conditions

2 Likes

Those are purple dead nettle, right? Bumble bees seem to really love them, so I guess they’ve got a point or two in their favor. :slight_smile: And I think they might be edible—at least the young growth.

4 Likes

This one may be a bit of a cheat, because the plant’s been nursed under grow lights all winter.

This rose is special to me. I started it last August from a green cutting (one of only two healthy growths I could salvage from the plant) of my late grandmother’s neglected and ailing rose, planted by her sometime in the '70s. Not 100% sure, but I believe it is the hybrid tea “Peace.” (Any other suggestions?) Wish I could also post its sweet fragrance here. I haven’t smelled it since I was a boy.

Anyway, the plant’s done well: which just goes to show you that sometimes all you need is a fresh set of roots. Going to plant it out this spring, along with “Belinda’s Dream” and “Perle d’Or.”

9 Likes

Here are pictures of some of my plants.

Mediterranean mandarin. (willowleaf mandarin)

Acidless sweet orange. (It is known for its sweet but tasteless/insipid taste, I advise you not to buy it by any way, you will hate it from the first fruit)

Anna apple.

Date palm. (I know this is unusual for this forum and its members)

14 Likes

Ok I feel the need to ask why you’re still growing it if that’s how you feel… I have tasted acidless oranges and I agree, by the way.

1 Like

It is a big and old tree, unless we need its place, it will remain, but perhaps it will soon be removed, the only ones who eat from it are the children, besides that, it’s the only tree whose fruits is ripe at that time.

1 Like

Pretty good reasons! Maybe it should become your tree for practicing grafting

1 Like