Buds , Flowers and Fruits 2022 Edition!

It is definitely a mango! I agree I’ve never seen a mango like this, and my hobby as a kid in Miami was foraging fallen mangos from rights-of-way :joy:

My mom says they are fiberless with an unusually thin seed, so it’s a huge amount of flesh per fruit. My sister-in-law is Thai and mostly uses the fruit from this tree unripe in her cooking, but they are supposedly also very good when ripe. I’m going to ask for scionwood to graft on my greenhouse tree, though I can’t imagine getting the tree large enough in my greenhouse to support more than a couple fruit this size!

2 Likes

Twilight Zone, not as exciting as the large mango

Belinda’s Dream

Grapefruit mint and peppermint, I debated for years whether to grow mint or not, they are a pest if I’m not careful.

6 Likes

My espalier pumpkin, I think it’s a pumpkin. I let some gourds and pumpkins rot there and this sprouted.

18 Likes

Love the shelves! I’m planning to make little hammocks for my greenhouse melons, but tempted to try to make shelves work now that I’ve seen yours.

2 Likes

What a great idea!!!

3 Likes

boards screwed to old wood pallets work great for this if you want to put them like on the side of a house/ garage without having to put screws in them. ive done it with melon, cukes and winter squash.

3 Likes

My illini blackberries are about done for the year… few left now.

13 Likes

You are the blackberry man!

3 Likes

dang man you grow a nice blackberry! my nelsons and dewberry are sizing up now . usually start ripening late july/ early aug. my dewberries look alot like your illni hardy but more purple than black. looks like im going to get a good harvest of them this year. the taste is even better than the nelsons which are very good. the -40’s last winter damaged my nelsons some but i should be getting a decent harvest still. didnt kill any canes, just stunted them so some barely produced any leaves/ fruit.

1 Like

Late pomegranate flowers

Seedless n6

Ariana

3 Likes

That looks like a contest,of how many Blackberries can be held in a hand.

2 Likes

@Bradybb … i had a few more that did not make the pic… i was stacking them up for sure.

2 Likes

Multi grafted pears not a lot but little bit of everything :smiley:.

Ayers

chojuro

Moonglow

Shinko

17 Likes

Fresh …for dinner tonight. Going to pick okra next.

10 Likes

This might be slightly off-topic, but I have discovered an amazing twitter bot that posts old watercolors of fruit from 100+ years ago, from the USDA library’s collection. I am not going to admit how long I spent scrolling through these:

https://twitter.com/pomological/

It seems to be dominated by apples and plums, but also includes all sorts of fruit, even avocados from time to time! I especially enjoy the ones showing rotting or diseased fruit, like this moldy orange:

2 Likes

@Naeem How has that shinko done for you? I have one fruiting this year myself, but others on the east coast gave it bad reviews. Chojuro though has been a rock star for me, with great taste. Moonglow I’m still having ripening issues. Ayers is dependable.

1 Like

I have 3 short double rows of okra producing like crazy now…

And 2 more this size coming on.

Planning to eat all we want until fall and can a bunch toooo.

6 Likes

How do you keep the weed away? That’s pretty neat. Not a single weed!

@Susu … i use a stirrup or scuttle hoe… shallow cultivation is key… and the past few weeks it has been hot and on the dry side.

Ideal for okra growing and keeping the weeds down.

3 Likes

Pretty aren’t they!

1 Like