Buds , Flowers and Fruits 2022 Edition!

First Bubble Gum Plums. A.K.A. Toka.
All I can say is - " a little too freaky for me!"
There is something just not right about biting into a plum and tasting bubble gum!
Where’s My Comic???

They sure are beautiful! Most still not ripe.

14 Likes

Red hazelnuts

Pitangas

9 Likes

I have 3 tiny okra plants, about an inch tall.

My second Satsuma tree, this year it’s producing nicely

Some kind of mandarin, not sure which unless I read the label.

3 Likes

Its a tiny graft also damaged by Cicadas set total three fruits, one split and other two are still hanging. I do not have enough data to comment on these but the split one was mild sweet and crisp , it was very under ripe too.

Wow these are looking very productive. Mine are not doing great still small.

Piros apples are ripening rapidly

Black Rhaspberries

5 Likes

Hello my friend! Do you like piros? How you describe it?
Thank’s!

Hello Luis,
as I remember it from last year it is a good early apple. Nothing distinctive in taste. What really sets it apart for me is how productive, vigorous and healthy the tree is. I will report back when I taste the first Piros of this year (maybe in a week or so)

1 Like

Thank you very much! :+1:

1 Like

Reineta Parda Linda

Sunrise lime first flowers

4 Likes

No tree fruits to report. Did pick first tomato’s of 2022 today. Red and yellow rainbow, Black Krim, Hillbilly, and Aunt Rubys German Green. Plants are loaded so at least I’ll get something to eat this year.

6 Likes

Blackberries… A nice bowl full per day for the last week+

8 Likes

finally some action
plums coming along, figs as tall as me with a few baby figs forming, and one of the pawpaw seeds has roots and is starting to push the surface!

3 Likes

Swiss chard

9 Likes

The netted Methley plum tree, organic plums using @scottfsmith low spray organic program. It has worked for me five years running.

Shiro plum grafted on a Methley tree. I have Satsuma and Purple heart plums grafted also, but haven’t really got any of those yet.

The Methley plums, numerous and delicious. I think this is my forth year in a row getting a great crop

Plenty of organic peaches as well!

21 Likes

Great Jim!

2 Likes

The last of my illini blackberries for this year.

Cut out and pulled the spent fcanes… tied up nice and tidy the new pcanes. Now i can give the pcanes some fertilizer and water to build them up for a good crop next year.

5 Likes

i only cut the floricanes out in early spring. read somewhere that you should allow the nutrients to go back to the crown in late fall so the energy can go into next years primocanes and fruit. im thinking thats more important here in the north. your weather isnt as hard on them as mine is.

@steveb4 …i think you are right about that working for northern locations… but it does not work for me down here in the hot humid south.

On raspberry and blackberry down here… when the fcanes are spent… even in the last week of fruiting… (and especially in extra hot seasons like this one)…those fcanes go down fast… leaving dead funky canes mixed in with my new pcanes too long… and my new pcanes start grtting funky.
Foilage issues…

Even when i take out the spent fcanes quickly the new pcanes often loose many of their bottom leaves… and others remain but are spotted.

I think that if i left my spent fcanes in the patch until fall… my pcanes would be doomed. Dead plant foliage, 95-100 degree weather and rain… down here in the south… and things get funky fast.

What i have always done with my illini (20+ years now)… is when each fruiting lateral is done… i cut them out… when the entire cane is done i take it out. I get the old stuff out of the row as soon as possible… to make more room for the new primocanes.

When all the old has been removed… my pcanes are then getting plenty of sun… and I have 2.5 to 3 more months growing season left. I tip prune the pcanes, fertilize them and water some to get them to fill out nicely in the top with lots of fruiting laterals for next year.

This works well down here… may not up there.

@growjimgrow … wow nice crops of plums and peaches… impressive.

2 Likes

the floricanes up here stay green until early nov. it makes sense what youre doing. i may give it a try this summer to see the difference.