Buds , Flowers and Fruits 2022 Edition!

Oils… are fat… 0 carbs.

Avoid hydrogenated oils like the plaque.

Eat all of the natural healthy (non hydrogenated oils) you want. Beef tallow bacon fat duck fat…or if you prefer… avacado, olive, coconut…

Sautee, pan fry, deep fry… as long as the oil is good… no problem.

3 Likes

Have you priced a gallon of coconut oil lately? You could probably buy a fat hog cheaper!

1 Like

We use some olive oil… for lower temp cooking… it has a smoke point around 375.

Avocado oil has a smoke point of 520 deg…

Whether i use olive or avocado… i add some bacon fat for flavor.

If you cook bacon or beef and you do not save the rendered fat… big mistake IMO… absolute tops for flavor… natural fats… do not cause inflammation.

Your body needs those kind of fats… for example to make use of fat soluble vitamins.

Fats have been demonized for many years now… to the point that many people do their best to avoid them… will not fry anything.

Reminds me of the title of Ken Berry’s book…

9 Lies my Doctor told me

4 Likes

I remember they did for years, I too was afraid of eating fat.

@SoCalGardenNut

Eating fat makes you fat… was the old lie.

So millions of people avoided fat… and they only have 2 other options… carbs and protein.

Eating meat is bad for you… the other old lie. So protein was avoided too…

So all they could eat and feel good about was carbs…

And carbs are the devil (the truth). Carbs make you fat and inflamed… which over time leads to all kinds of disease issues.

The rather large group of mysterious diseases that Doctors commonly call autoimmune diseases (which includes my health issue)… if you stop eating carbs or seriously reduce… and eat much more fat and protein… it goes away.

MeatRX.com for thousands of testimonials.

Fry you some okra… use bacon fat… WARNING… it is addictively good.

2 Likes

Talk about growing okra, I found an old picture last year or before I had 5 okra plants near the edge of my corn bed.
Bacon is expensive here in California, but I will be eating lots of bacon soon. Bacon and lobsters, yum!!

5 Likes

Nice photo!

1 Like

@SoCalGardenNut … bacon and (so many things) = good

Have not tried bacon and lobster yet myself.
We have crawdads here.

Your garden is beautiful !!!

If you only had one of these… might improve it some.

I got mine back in the mid 90s… use it every year a lot and it is still good as new. Dont think they make em like that anymore.

3 Likes

I bought 4 new watering cans and none is as good as my old one, hence the tape up. The design of the new cans are just awful, not very intuitive at all.
Bacon because I will be in England for a month, Lobster when I will be in New England. I like the thick bacon sandwich. I’m going to stuff myself with seafood when I’m in Spain. So I need to save myself and eating sensibly for a few weeks.

2 Likes

@SoCalGardenNut
Cholesterol is not a problem for you?

Avocado

Not yet. I don’t have any problem yet. My years of gardening does pay off, lol.

1 Like

@mrsg47… thanks for the correct spelling… I made corrections above.

I tend to spell things like they sound in my hillbilly head aaavvvaaacccaaadddooo. That sounds right to me.

aaavvvooocccaaadddooo — I think I have been pronouncing it wrong my entire life.

Av"ooo"cado

I know what it is… it is just a lot easier to say av"aaa"cado… than it is to say av"ooo"cado. I mean you have to change your whole mouth around to do those "ooo"s.

:slight_smile:

TNHunter

1 Like

Such a great grape!

1 Like

im of french canadian decent and i pronounce it the same. im a northern as they come other than Alaska.

1 Like

@steveb4 … i have a nephew that is living in Main now… he is over on the coast south east of you some. Machiasport is where he lives. He is a carpenter by trade, builds houses… he is good at that. He has also been trained by my family over his younger years to be a skilled hunter, fisherman and trapper.

He previously worked in law enforcement… border patrol agent… got stationed in AZ a while and then transferred to Maine for a while. He eventually gave up that line of work and startrd building houses down here… did that for several years here in TN… then moved back to Maine a year or so ago. Evidently they liked it up there.

His son has been working a fishing boat the past year and i think they catch mostly lobster. He is 19 I think and loves it. Makes pretty good money at that.

Do you do fishing or hunting guide type work ?
Not sure if they would be interested in something like that… but i could check.

They do lots of hunting, fishing and trapping on their own. It runs in our blood.

TNHunter

3 Likes

i have a good friend that lives in Bucks harbor right next to Machiasport. hes brokers seafood. probably bought your nephews lobster. that part of Maine is still lightly populated and the people are as close to southern rednecks as you can get. they work hard and play harder. my brothers a Manie guide. i could of got my license also years ago but i dont like the idea of putting a price tag on game. now i hunt grouse and Moose when i get a tag. so few deer that its almost not worth it going. if i come across one locally ill pursue it . but the closest decent deer hunting is down in s. Maine 5 hrs from here and you have to know someone to hunt down there. got a 45in. 786lb. moose last year and a 51in. 893lb. bull in 05’. that ones mounted and hanging in my brothers new lodge he built on the Fish river 3 years ago. i dont get out fishing like i used to . spend most of my time in the garden in summer. i do more icefishing.

1 Like

Well, you can live cheaply there except you have to pay to heat your house. We had the best fish and chips there too, much better than Hawaii even. Not sure what kind of fish they use either.

1 Like

Right… you have to pay to heat your house and winter is what 6 or 7 months of the year ?

I have an old friend from a forest farming site that is growing Seng up there in Maine. My first year seedlings would be up sometimes as early as march 17 18 20 on north east facing hillsides.

His were finally coming up mid May.
His went down in the fall late September… mine mid November.

Too much winter up there for me :wink:

yep. winter here isnt for the weak or lazy. its alot of work shoveling snow and in -0 temps from dec thru march. why we are considering snowbirding to N.C after my inlaws pass.