Buds , Flowers and Fruits 2022 Edition!

It is a great French plum and makes great jam! I love all of the Reine Claude plums. So happy that your tree is so big!

1 Like

We have never made jam with them, we love to eat them fresh. My family eats huge amounts of fruit, so we never get around to making jam!
What other Reine Claudes do you know and which is your favorite?
We have Oullins, Reine Claude VertĆ© und Graf Althans Reine Claude, but the later two are young trees that havenā€™t fruited yet.

2 Likes

They look very similar to my green gage in the Bay Area.

1 Like

I grew both Reine Claude de Bavay and Reine Claude Doree. They were best eaten when golden in color, very sweet and juicy. I served them for dessert, chilled. To remember the flavor in winter I would make small batches of jam.

4 Likes

I also have a Mirabelle de Nancy which should be ripe in a week or two!

Putting back the okraā€¦

6 Likes

Iā€™m waiting for this Ajvarski pepper to turn completely red, I have a dish I want to make, Spanish Migas with fried egg.

4 Likes

Nice Green Cone you got there.

2 Musquee de Provence, I wasnā€™t sure I have space this year for growing pumpkins, but here they are, I have 3 pumpkins out there.

9 Likes

Frying okra and grilling ribeyes ā€¦

8 Likes

Got lima beans?

1 Like

No lima beans in my gardenā€¦

14 g net carbs per serving 100g lima beans.

4 g net carbs per serving 100 g okra.

Green beans are good keto foodā€¦ not the beans themselvesā€¦ but the young tender pods before beans develop. We eat those.

2 Likes

But you fry them in oil?

Oil is pretty low-carb, too, though, right?

1 Like

One of those health myths of the past 20 yearsā€¦

That frying foods is bad for you.

Frying foods in the wrong kind of oils is very bad for you (any oil that is hydrogenated)ā€¦ which most are mostly called vegitable oilsā€¦ to make them sound betterā€¦ but they are actually grain oilsā€¦ grain oils including corn oils have to be hydrogenated to make them shelf stableā€¦ and that is what makes them highly inflamitory to the human body.

We fry our okra in a mix of avacado oil and bacon fatā€¦ wonderful flavorā€¦ and healthy (non hydrogenated oils).

Not inflamitory at all.

Before i learned much more about true healthy eatingā€¦ and inflamation causes in our foods and oilsā€¦

I weighed 220ā€¦ i had high BP and took meds for thatā€¦ i also had high triglicirides and cholesterol and took meds for that. I had terrible authritus and gut issuesā€¦ and took meds for thatā€¦ 2 surgeries removing part of my colon.

Changed my dietā€¦ paleo firstā€¦ then ketoā€¦ then 31 days carnivore (for complete healing)ā€¦ then back to clean healthy keto for maintenance.

I now weigh 155 lbsā€¦ take absolutely no medsā€¦ and have none of those previous health issues.

Frying foods is not bad for youā€¦ if you are frying in the right kind of oils.

Beef tallow, bacon fat, butter, non hydrogenated oils like avacado olive coconut oilsā€¦ are all good choices. Will not cause inflamation in your body.

4 Likes

@Naeem !!! Those Reliance grapes! What colors!
The artist in me wants to paint a bunch! :heart_decoration:

Remember ā€˜Enterprise or Libertyā€™ quandary?
Well, decided to go ahead and pull the remaining apples on the branch marked Liberty. They had rot spots. Some worse than others. Took them inside and sliced off the rot. Seemed pretty superficial. (thought that odd?) However . . . . the apple we tasted was SUPER! I can only imagine how fab they would be if left to fully ripen. It was juicy and very sweet - and just a bit tart. Great. We were delighted with this apple . . . whichever it is!

5 Likes

I thought we were talking about low carb.

Low carbā€¦ or even no carb is what healed me and keeps me well.

There are 3 macrosā€¦ Carbs, protein, fat.

Oils are fatā€¦ but some oils (hydrogenated grain oils) are very bad for youā€¦ cause inflamation big time.

Inflamation is the underlying cause of diseases and health issuesā€¦ diabeties, arthritus, gut issues, brain issues, liver and kidney failure, etcā€¦

Over eating carbsā€¦ = overweight, obeisity.

Whe you eat a carb restricted diet (keto)ā€¦ you force a change in how your body is fueled.

Once you achieve ketosis your body burns fat for energyā€¦ rather than carbs.

Keto dietā€¦ ideally you consume 60-70 % of your diet in fatsā€¦ and you lose a bunch of weight because your body is burning up your fat as its fuel source.

After 31 days on fat heavy carnivore dietā€¦ i weighed 143 lbs.

My gut was completely healedā€¦ proven by colonoscopy results. My Doc was shocked at the results.

Fats (good fats) are essential to human health.

4 Likes

Glad your health is getting better @TNHunter. I donā€™t fry anything, Iā€™m cheap, it cost money to buy oil of anything. I use just a little bit of oil, thatā€™s it.

Well anyway, my question about Lima Beans wasnā€™t directed at you. Anyone else growing them?