Buds , Flowers and Fruits 2022 Edition!

Kahinta Plums. These have been very reliable for me in NE Ohio. To me, they taste similar to Vermont and Hanska. Good and sweet, decent sized for an american hybrid. Skin is sour and thick, but not astringent.

13 Likes

@ztom, very nice harvest of plum. They look awsome. I grafted a few hybrids this year and one of them in kahinta. Can you kindly share your spray schedule and even better if you can share your experience with different plum varities so far. success, failure, disease etc.Thanks a bunch.

I have about 20 Fuyu persimmons, this one I didn’t cover in tulle.

Merveille de Quatre Saisons, too pretty to eat, lol.

Genovese basil

Warmelon from my compost, amazing, it’s the biggest melon so far

5 Likes

Chojuro ( 08-23-22 ) very weak graft only four fruits one squirrels took and three left.
I think these are ready to pick ?

6 Likes

The one on the right definitely looks ready. Look for that burnt orange color.

4 Likes

I have a few things, in this bad year!

a buddy bee! cucumbers finally started to flower again. they stopped during the heat wave.

Bethlehem black making figs in year one

NOOOOOOO

there’s two clusters that aren’t drying out/dropping and I’m protecting em best I can. first year we’ve had grapes on this vine so I didn’t expect much

strawflowers are a favorite of mine. my zinnias didn’t come up hardly at all this year and no flowers on them, but the strawflowers came through

this guy is getting a specialty gravel bed in front of my house where the sun blasts and the water doesn’t go. next year though- I’ll probably baby it over winter indoors then put it out after frost next spring.

almost forgot: time to pull off the bulbils to set aside for fall. I took in the handful of garlic I had left out to propagate from and broke up the cloves back into the ground as I grabbed these.

3 Likes

Pull the pear very slightly while lifting and rotating it about the connection point with the branch. If they are ripe the stem usually breaks free, if it’s not ripe it will want to hang on.

1 Like

My watermelon from my compost is getting bigger, I’m now resting all my melons on something. I’m not sure they will be here when I get back from my vacation either.

My five melons from compost, not sure what kind and what variety

6 Likes

@SoCalGardenNut ,
I recommend growing Ambrosia.

3 Likes

I do every year, it’s my favorite variety, this year I planted a few plants, but I only got one or two melons.

1 Like

Can someone please tell me if these Pluots are showing fruit wood here?

I still have one avocado out there, down from 8.

Heirloom rose, it’s back after a year of hiatus, I think I gave it some compost recently

Love Song

7 Likes

Yes, the avocados have taken longer to ripen this year – spreading out the harvest from early to late summer. We have been acquiring them about every 10 days and there are still 3 left on the tree.

2 Likes

Yesterday’s Harvest!

10 Likes

I think you’re exceeding a bushel per week!

1 Like

About 25 to 30 pounds or half a bushel per week. Production is starting to decline and will not be same.

1 Like

My apples trees are having a good year so far, holding lots of good looking apples. We are still eating the Williams pride and now working through these Jonafree apples that fall off the tree, a little underripe, but not bad. Last year I had a ton of pears but few apples, this year a ton of apples and fewer pears.

Jonafree apples mostly. There are grafts of rubinette, which has a few apples, Hudson golden gem with like 3or 4 apples and Macoun, which has none.

This tree has Golden delicious on the bottom and either freedom or liberty on top. Also has a branch of ashamed kernal, which has one misshapen apple.

Housi pears. Definitely let this tree overset last year, now has like 20 pears, which are fantastic.

Enterprise apples are looking good, not a ton of them but probably a good amount to get more next year. Also has Arkansas black with about 20 apples.

Gold rush. Probably too many set, I don’t know. I saw these trees on a local orchard which had the trees covered in apples, so thought I would try it. I did pull off so many, but now I’m thinking not enough.

16 Likes

Loved seeing your trees with multiple varieties! This is where I am try to go with my trees. What a great harvest and diversity. Congratulations.

4 Likes

TN - i think u should consider changing ur screen name to @okra

or maybe
@avooooocaaaaadooooo ?

:joy:

3 Likes

@growjimgrow I’m certainly no expert . . . not even close . . . but it doesn’t look as though you left too many Goldrushes on your tree, to me. You should see mine! (below) This is too many left on . . . for sure! But the apples are a really nice size, for the most part. I continue to pull some that appear damaged and I’ve propped branches.
Next year I will thin more!
The form of your trees is so ‘open’. I really messed up, early on, with my apple tree training. I’ve tried to remedy and still have more branch thinning to do this winter. Getting there . . . but I doubt that mine will ever be as open as yours.

11 Likes