Buds , Flowers and Fruits 2022 Edition!

On the right Kroger’s Ambrosia and on the left, one I picked today. Mine had some rot so I ate it while it’s still edible.

I consider Ambrosia a pretty good store apple. It was just what I expected. Juicy and super sweet. Mine was similar but a bit more complex. The sweetness didn’t overpower the overall taste.

My first Ambrosia off my tree :grin:

11 Likes

Pretty Good Pomegranate Report :grin:

A couple more months to go until my pomegranates can start to be picked. This summer seems to have been a good one for my 2 trees that are planted by my house. There was very little fungal destruction - and this is my guess as to why.

I sprayed fungicide on the buds and blossoms as often as I could, when these 2 trees were in bloom. Just a little bottle ‘hand’ sprayer with Immunox, or Copper, or Indar was easier to keep up with - than taking out the tank sprayer.

Then when there was evidence of fruit set - I pulled the male (trumpet shaped) blossoms.

After a time - when there was a good bit of fruit developing on the tree - I pulled any developing blooms.

I continue to spray after a rain - and once a month or so, concentrating on the calyx end of the fruit.

Out in the orchard, where it was harder to spray continuously - I did not have very good results. If we get one or two decent pomegranates off of most of the varieties - I’ll be surprised. There was a lot of fungal damage.

Spraying buds and blossoms seems to be the trick! Still at least a month to go for Granadas . . . and probably 2 months for Wonderful. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Here are some pics.
Granadas - will ripen earlier than the Wonderful (below)

Wonderful
The fruit is much smaller this year, than the Granadas. And there is some sun damage. But, all in all - they are looking great!

18 Likes

Very beautifull pomegranate trees and fruits! Congratulations! :+1:

I have 5 fruits on 3 pomegranate trees first time! :grin:

3 Likes

Do they look healthy? No black spots?

YAY!

3 Likes

They look great! :+1:

2 Likes

Looking down the okra row… with the last light of this Tennessee day.

8 Likes

not much this summer, it was bad timing for heat waves, no rain, insect attacks.
but I’m hoping these guys ripen in the next month or so, I would love to get anything good out the ground this year.

that first photo I don’t even know for sure what plant that is. can’t remember, lost the tag, etc

8 Likes

Some of today’s harvest of triple crown blackberries and what I assume are Italian prune European plums

12 Likes

This is getting big fast, Ping Tung Long.

4 Likes

Not fruit but this is what I harvested today 3.5 gallon bucket full. Hot, Medium & mild . :boom: :heart_on_fire:.

13 Likes

Actually they are fruit.

5 Likes

Clockwise from the top:
Grapes, unknown variety
Chestnut crab
Primrouge/ Akane apple
James Grieve apple
One cluster of Nero grape

I really like this picture, because it shows the different sizes of the different apple varieties very well.

15 Likes

Okra blooms are so beautiful. I’d forgotten . . .

@Oepfeli - I grafted some Akane scions on one of my dwarf trees. What is the taste like, ‘for you’? My graft is too young to have apples. Maybe in a year or two.

@PomGranny

Clemson spineless…

Jambalaya

Very similar. Agree they are very pretty.

8 Likes

Sugar Cane setting fruit first time. Only six fruits :upside_down_face:. While Honey Jar Dropped all the fruit.

7 Likes

When I first tasted an Akane in 2015 in my employer’s orchard I felt that this is a very tasty apple. It had high sugar and high acid and some kind of spicy fruity aroma. My own trees were planted in fall 2019 and so far fail to live up to my expectations. In 2020 they were bland. In 2021, there was only one apple. In 2022 they were pretty tasty, with a nice balance between sugar and acid, but still missing this special aroma. Texturewise they are juicy and crunchy, though not very dense. They definitely remind me of Jonathan, which is a parent, though happily, they lack the rubbery texture that Jonathan-skin sometimes gets. They were very nice apples this year, I’m just chasing this specific aroma and so far haven’t found it. So overall, if I had never tasted these special Akanes in 2015 I would be very happy with my crop this year. For reference, I like apples like Rubinette or Topaz, which are very intense, but also more subtle, perfumey apples like Iduna, Arlet (Swiss Gourmet). The Akane are definitely in the latter category.

4 Likes

In my experience and environment, apples take about 5 years from planting to develop fruit with a mature taste.

3 Likes

9 Likes

I have heard some people say that here on the forum (I believe Scott said it about Rubinette?) and I hope this is right. In this context I can remark that my employers trees (which were sadly felled last winter) were definitely mature, at least 20 years old.