Building a Greenhouse

Was the grapefruit grown from seed?

No, itā€™s a cultivar purchased specifically because itā€™s supposed to grow well in a greenhouse. I suspect my temperatures drop too low too often for itā€™s liking but who knows?

1 Like

Could you try to graft a couple of other varies onto your grapefruit? I would try that before putting it out to pasture.

Yeah I could, but without really knowing what exactly I have itā€™s a crapshoot. When you have 3ā€™ tall lemons with 40 fruits hanging off itā€™s hard to keep a 10ā€™ tall grapefruit that produces nothing.

1 Like

Impressiveā€¦ even with time lapseā€¦ amazing amt of work!! Congrats! it is beautiful!

1 Like

Some pics I took today. Things are looking good. Something I learned quick is not to give the mangos tap water. I am now using rainwater or RO/distilled water in a pinch exclusively. Fmw on some of the figs is pretty bad, though the foliage that gets more sun seems to show less symptoms. Does anyone have a citrus recommendation?

12 Likes

Owari,Xie Shan,Brown Select Satsuma and Gold Nugget mandarin.Also,Hamlin orange.

3 Likes

Get a Meyer lemon or Improved Meyer lemon. So, so productive!

2 Likes

Meyer lemon trees are the hardest of all citrus to grow. They are riddle with pests and Diseases that other citrus donā€™t have. They loose all there leaves and twigs die back if the tree has any changes of light and the lemons are not very good tasting. Since in Zone 7a any citrus tree will have to be container grown and protected over the winter and Meyer lemons canā€™t be moved I would say get a Meiwa or Fukushu kumquat. Get something you canā€™t get ant the fruit stand.

3 Likes

I have to agree. I love my Meyer Lemon, it gave me quite a few tarts and squares. But my favorite now is Four Seasons. I have moved countries so the climate is better for citrus. I feel it is still worth growing Meyer Lemons in cold climes. Just sprqy them with triazicide before you bring them indoors.

1 Like

Meyer lemon and calmondin are very productive in pots.

Jeez Iā€™ve read everything now! I started growing a Meyer lemon after reading that it was one of the easiest and most productive potted citrus to grow. Thatā€™s why I bought it. Itā€™s been the easiest for me- though Iā€™m just a beginning potted fruit grower. You say ā€œMeyer lemons canā€™t be movedā€ but I move mine in and out of the greenhouse sometimes day to day as well as putting them in different parts of my yard in different seasons and mine has thrived. Itā€™s even survived some nights below freezing when I forgot to bring it in.

2 Likes

I would definitely consider myself a beginner as well but my Meyer Lemon has been very hassle-free for me. Move mine outside in the summer, inside in the winter. Very little humidity most days. Tree is doing well other than being very bushy.

3 Likes

Added a grow light

5 Likes

Mango is flowering, smells very nice (never smelled mango flower before). Also figs are growing like crazy.

16 Likes

Stuff still growing! Wish I could let these figs get huge. It seems all the leaves that get sun are pretty disease free. The ones that get shades look terrible.

11 Likes

Itā€™s been over 25 years since Iā€™ve taken a thermodynamics class, but I was thinking along the same lines as you, and couldnā€™t make sense of Fusion_powerā€™s explanation. Iā€™m wondering if that should be coldFusion_power.

murky, give it a try. Watch what happens when the outside temperature is 32 degrees and the wind is blowing. The layer of air just inside the greenhouse covering will go down several degrees lower than external temperatures. I run a fan to keep air circulating so that plants at the side of the greenhouse wonā€™t be damaged. Note that I make no claim regarding the actual method of heat loss, but Iā€™ve seen it too many times over the last 14 years to ignore it.

Great looking figs and mango. Iā€™m just getting into mango. Iā€™ve read that when nights drop below 60F all they want to do is flower. It can be hard to get the vegetative growth needed. Since Iā€™m growing fruits needing chilling Iā€™ll get to see how they do at 37-60F for 45 days. OK I think if soil isnā€™t wet.

4 Likes

I learned the hard way not to use tap water for the mangos. They seems to strongly dislike my city water. I am trying to figure out how wet the mangos like their roots. So far they seek to tolerate wet feet pretty well.