Building a Greenhouse

How hard was it to build this greenhouse? I’m looking into one and cedarbuilt seems to have quality products!

Greenhouse is looking good, 102 tomorrow, so will have to make sure nothing dries out. Dragon fruit is about to bloom and I have 2 more flowers coming on the same plant. Mango also looking well.

14 Likes

Couple dragonfruit flowers blooming tonight. This is sugar dragon, which also has some other names.

9 Likes

This is a video I made of some dragonfruit flowers growing in my greenhouse.

9 Likes

Any luck with fruit set on those flowers yet @Phill_Boise_7a? I finally put most of my dragonfruit in the ground in my greenhouse this week. They are along the north wall, where I’m planning to grow them up the 2x4 frame of the greenhouse.

Last winter the little dragonfruit seedlings I had in the greenhouse got badly chewed up by slugs, so I’m planning to be more proactive this winter with slug traps/bait and such. And hopefully those larger cutting-grown plants will survive such attacks a little more effectively. The seedling in the far right of that photo is the only one that was in the ground last winter, and it’s hardly grown from that stump of a cactus. It was about 3x bigger a year ago.

4 Likes

Unfortunately, none of the fruit set. I must not be pollinating correctly. Plants are growing like weeds though.

1 Like

Greenhouse looking good, wish I could get a mango and dragonfruit to set though.

13 Likes

@Phill_Boise_7a your greenhouse looks amazing! I don’t think I see a misting system… can you clarify as to whether or not you have or want one? I’ve got my greenhouse up and running now, it’s a similar build to yours, and it came with a mister system. I’m looking for best practices for setting it up. Thanks!

Can’t speak for Phill, but my own greenhouse is way too humid for most of the year even without any added mist. I do manually mist (with a garden hose mister) on the very hottest days in summer, when it briefly knocks an extra 5-10°F off the temperature and seems to help the plants cope with the heat better. But I’d caution against using mist too much, it’s a recipe for mold and fungal pathogens.

1 Like

@Phill_Boise_7a
What is this plant? Where did you get it? I am looking for this type of cactus

1 Like

No misting system. My figs and dragonfruit would not like that at all. I would need to spray fungicide on everything and the figs would split like crazy. I already have issues with some figs splitting if the humidity gets too high.

3 Likes

San Pedro cactus. I grew it from a cutting I bought online.

1 Like

Thanks, I will look for San Padro cuttings

Very classy greenhouse.

Most greenhouses are much lower build quality and kind of derelict looking after a few years around here.

One like that, no. I would be tempted to sacrifice some growing space for lawn furniture. Sunshine and balmy temperatures mid-winter in Z4 are pretty tempting.

1 Like

I recently got a very quiet dehumidifier to see if I could lower the humidity in my greenhouse. In the winter it usually runs at 70-75%.
With the humidifier on, I collect about 2 cups of water every 4 days and humidity ranges 60-65%. I thought I would see a bigger drop than this!
On the other hand,on my recent visit to HI (big island, wet side), I saw lemons, limes, and tangerines thriving with 80-90% humidity ….that’s when it wasn’t raining! And cuttings would root at 70-80F with no plastic covering. The open air flow probably makes a big difference. Hence the need for a fan in a closed in ghouse.

Rainy and cold here, but my figs are growing well. I woke them up about 5 weeks ago. There are even a few brebas! My favorite Hoya is starting to flower as well.

8 Likes

Mealy bugs drive me crazy. They are so hard to eradicate. I found some hiding in a screw in a post.

1 Like

Mango is swelling!

11 Likes

Got 2 mangos which are getting much bigger!

10 Likes

That baby is going to need support, big time. I hope to join you next year. My plants are growing nicely with 5-7 flushes so far.

Nice going…!!

4 Likes