Building a Greenhouse

No, there are windows in the front and back as well as vents. When it gets over 100 I turn on an evaporative cooler. Everything did fine, even when the inside was 110+. The bigger issue is the strength of the sun in June and July. Shade cloth is required during those times.

4 Likes

Shade cloth is what people resort to when the cooling system is inadequate. In Boise it’s not that hard to keep a greenhouse cool. I haven’t needed shade cloth in 16 years and my greenhouse hasn’t been over 94 this summer. A wet wall and adequate exhaust fans would do the same in Boise.

3 Likes

I don’t have a wet wall, air conditioning or a large evaporative cooler. So, shade cloth seems like a pragmatic and cheap alternative for a small 10 x 20 hobby greenhouse. No doubt there are better ways, such as the ones you are using. The high temperature in Boise this year reached 110 degrees, So, it actually can be very hot.

4 Likes

Determined to get high quality figs this winter.

12 Likes

Mr Texas is correct. Can’t go lower. However, if there is condensation and it evaporates due to dew point one side or the other you can drop below in a localized area.

Looking pretty full! I wish I had 200 more square feet and a higher ceiling.

11 Likes

I know that feeling! My ~300 sq ft is already getting hard to maneuver around and most of the stuff in there will end up a lot bigger than it is now…

1 Like

So the size of this greenhouse is 10x20? Look really nice. We can always use a larger greenhouse :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m planning a semi commercial greenhouse mainly for plant propagation. Not sure how long it takes…

1 Like

What are you going to be propagating?

Maybe blueberry, fig, grape etc…

1 Like

@ Phill_Boise_7a

Can you tell me what size your greenhouse is?

Whoops, forgot to answer. It’s a 10 x 20.

1 Like

Mango is flowering again, I have some resident flies in the greenhouse so I hope it sets fruit.

13 Likes

Looks great! Have you considered hand pollinating too? I don’t know about mangoes in particular but seems worth a shot

1 Like

Mangos are a bit tricky to hand pollinate since the pollen is basically invisible to the human eye. I read in an old forum that you can put some of the flowers in water and then spray, but I haven’t tried it yet, maybe I will do that tomorrow.

1 Like

I made a short video on the mango flowers.

6 Likes

Opened the door to my greenhouse today and the bees and flies found my mango and citrus flowers. I guess no need to worry about hand pollination!

13 Likes

Looks like at least 1 Carrie mango set. I hope I can get it to ripen.

16 Likes

Four Winds moved their production indoors with the air blowing outward when the doors open: Huonglongbing (spelling? Greening disease) hasn’t hit northern California yet and Four Winds isn’t under quarantine. There may be other companies that can still ship wherever but I know they can.

It hurt me to do it, but I pruned a bunch of branches and figs off my Figo Preto. Didn’t like it’s shape and it had spider mites. I’ve learned from past mistakes though, you don’t mess around with mites. I went straight to the strong stuff, Forbid 4f.

2 Likes