CALVILLE BLANC DE HIVER - Waxy - Oily coating?

Just harvested this apple and they are great. Varying in size from medium to huge good snappy juicy texture sweet and tart light. See beloe

BUT, I noticed that it has a waxy even oily feeling coating unlike any other except for Blush Rosette.

Has anyone experienced this with this or any other apple.

Mike

9 Likes

Beautiful apples. Given all the drought we’ve had they may not be quite as good on a year with more typical precip.

1 Like

WOW! Very beautifull, congratulations! :+1:

1 Like

@alan

Actually, I am lucky. Except for the year I planted most of the trees in which I used a soaker hose on a timer, I have NEVER had to supplement water.

My orchard lies 150 feet ever so slightly on a downhill from my neighbor"s spring fed 1/2 acre pond. In the dryest years there is plenty of moisture 12 inches under the surface.

When I planted I built up 18 inch terrace rows and planted into them because I feared creating clay bathtubs because the ground rich in clay. I am lucky in that my ground stays pretty evenly moist. What I worry about is heavy rain right before stonefruit harvest because the rows still get soaked.

Mike

3 Likes

@Luisport
Thank you

Mike

1 Like

Yes, same waxy/oily coating every year on my King apples. More apparent 1 day after picking. Since King are such good keepers, I assumed a waxy coating signified a long keeper.

Chris

2 Likes

The best. Now make a pie! :relaxed:

4 Likes

Those look awesome!

I remember really liking our Calville Blanc. They had a rich flavor for sure.

There is usually a lot of bug damage as the bugs have great taste! This year they seemed slow ripening. I have yet to get a ripe one, but there are still a few hanging on the tree.

I never noticed a oily/waxy feel on those, but I do remember it on Arkansas Black.

1 Like

@joleneakamama

Another thing I noticed about them was the wide discrepancy in sizes.

Some were really huge while others were small. I tried to determine any rhyme or reason but could not. Sometimes two that grew out of the same cluster were huge while others growing as singles were on the small side.

Mike

There are other apples that a greasy. Thompkin’s King is one, I think.

My neglected Calville never got big or tasty. Congrats.

@murky

You really ought to try because they are really good

Mike

Shouldn’t he make Tart Tatin. Calville is the traditional apple for that.

Mike, because our hot summer, Calville came a month early. First year fruiting and bland. Size was all over the board but the Tart Tatin was amazing.

2 Likes

I’d like to taste someone else’s that is good, That might inspire me to try harder.

There are some popular apples that I’ve never enjoyed. Sometimes its hard to tell if I just haven’t had a good one, or don’t share the palate with those who like it.

1 Like

Yes he should, but lets start out slowly!

I notice that with some varieties, notably Pink Pearl.

1 Like
4 Likes

Very interesting’ thanks.

@murky

I ate some and they did not seem “overripe” .

They were crispy, juicy and tasted great. They were NOT falling off the tree. I had to work them off.

I will make a note to start harvesting earlier in Oct next year to see.

Mike

I posted that link without comment, because it bears on the greasy skin and suggested that there are other cultivars that do it.

I didn’t mean to influence your harvesting. It sounds like it did great for you including when you harvested them. I wouldn’t put too much stock in the study’s characterization of the fruit as “overripe”.

Some publications refer to water core as a defect, and others try to encourage it. I suspect that my Calville Blanc that failed to impress were under mature and/or underripe. Without protecting them from codling moth and apple maggot here, it’s difficult to evaluate how they would do after being picked and stored. Some apples are at there best after some cold storage.

In any case, their characterization of overripe probably applies to a particular commercial cultivar or two, that can be managed in a way that doesn’t exhibit greasy skin if they are picked sufficiently early. It doesn’t mean picking earlier the apples are better for eating, or even as good - but maybe more salable.

The apple I.D. folks include the propensity to have greasy skin as one of the criteria they use to distinguish cultivars.

1 Like

@murky

It is a large but dense good tasting apple, usually the large ones are not as dense and crunchy

Mike