Can I eat these shrooms?

Whether they are fruiting or not I can always tell where they are; they are the lines of healthier lawn that remains a dark shadow of green even during droughts.

What are they and are they edible?

2021-08-29 (2)

2021-08-29 (1)

1 Like

Hi Don,
They look a lot like Angel Wings but they do not normally grow in a meadow. Resemble white Chanterelles, which also do not normally grow in meadows.
So I suggest contacting some of the experts I learned from in Seattle Micological Society, perhaps someone there could help you with a positive ID. In any case please do not even test eating until a professional can give you better description and a positive ID.
Kent, wa

1 Like

It looks like they are growing from dead tree roots, dig down and see if that is the case.

Start a spore print also, on black and white paper.

1 Like

Every mushroom is edible, sometimes only once!! I do not trust ANY mushroom growing in the wild to be safe to eat. Even the experts die from eating the wrong mushrooms they think are safe to eat. :nauseated_face:


I’m not about to try one I can’t positively identify. I do get some edible mushrooms randomly growing around including two (yet to make a second appearance) morels under my cherry bush.

1 Like

Ate lots of these… still kicking :wink:

Not sure what you have there… soooo many light brown shrooms… good luck with the id.


I’m having a hard time finding any info on these guys, no luck so far. I browsed a few books, looked up sites for Alaska mushrooms, nothing yet.

I like foraging and if the foraging can happen on my own lawn even better :slight_smile:

1 Like

Whenever I want a mushroom ID, I post photos to a Facebook group for enthusiasts, and usually get an id within a few hours. The group is an association specific to California—maybe you could find one for your region, or a more general forum that isn’t region-specific? In a pinch, you might get an ID from an active forum for another region.

I am sure you’re being safe, but I’ll add that I personally have decided to not consume wild mushrooms, save for a few varieties that are quite distinct-looking, and unlike anything toxic. I’ve heard that actual mushroom experts make up a significant portion of mushroom poisoning accidents, so I’m sticking to my chanterelles (edible) and turkey tails (medicinal use).

Good luck! I always do like an identification adventure :slight_smile:

And for folks who might be in California, I highly recommend following the California Mushroom Identification Forum on Facebook:


Yeah, I’m not about to start munching on random mushrooms…

I’m yet to ID this mushroom but Sunday I’m going out with a mushroom guy to learn how to identify a bunch of edible ones. He couldn’t tell what these were either.

1 Like

On the east coast, I know of Chicken of the woods, Hen of the woods, morels, chanterells, and various oysters being edible and reasonable to ID with certainty. False morels are one of the challenges but relatively easy to differentiate. Other than that, I am a novice, and I’ve only tested Chicken so far.

It’s far easier for me to hunt mushrooms than to work up the courage to put them in my mouth :joy:

@disc4tw … it may be hard to tell from my morel pic above… but I always either slice them off or pinch them off just above ground level… and check to make sure the stem is hollow… a true morel is hollow stem to top.

False morel has a solid stem.

That is one easy way to tell whether you have a true or false morel.

1 Like

No one is going to do the joke “There are the old mushroom hunters and there are the bold mushroom hunters…. but there are no old bold mushroom hunters”?

1 Like

Yea that is the way I have been taught as well @TNHunter. I just have yet to spot them in the wild. My eye is usually trained for orange to spot the chanterells and chicken, but I am positive morels exist where I look.

@disc4tw … morels are found in spring. Here at my place… when redbuds have been blooming a couple weeks… and dogwood blooms are just starting to open…

You better be looking for morels.

They start fruiting when ground temp makes 52 degrees… I have a ground temp thermometer… but tree blooms as mentioned above is all I really need to know for sure when to look.

1 Like

They are most likely inedible if not toxic.
They look nothing like any edible species I recognize, and the only similarish ones do not grow in lawns
There’s a host of mushrooms that are hard to identify because there are so many similar ones, and this is probably one of them.

If you are not 100% sure about what a mushroom is, never eat it. Most have toxic lookalikes and even the non toxic ones can cause an upset stomach

That pretty much is the well established norm. Heck most edible mushrooms can still do a number on you if eaten raw, the cooking is what denatures the proteins that can do a number on your system. I get a pretty nasty rash if I eat raw shitake and while it looks just like an allergy it is by definition a poisoning.