Can you recommend a true green bean bush?

Every year I try to grow green beans that the packet says is a true bush but they always end up having runners.

Does anybody know of a TRUE bush green bean?

What are bean runners? Are they the string pole climbers?

I bought a few packets of edamame and they ended up being Bush beans :thinking:wish i could tell you what variety they are but theyā€™re short. Right now Iā€™m trailing some bush beans from migardener. May have to get back to you on how they are.

Yes, the climbers is what I meant. I just want bushes

Hereā€™s where Iā€™ve gotten some true bush bean seeds from in the past. Currently trying out jade and another one i canā€™t remember right now. I have Antigua, provider, strike, and contender from them along with Jade. Just planted them a few days ago so Iā€™ll be able to tell you about them in a month or sošŸ˜…

3 Likes

Iā€™m done with climbing beans too until i can get a good setup :rofl: i sowed some about 3 years ago and havenā€™t planted them since but they take over my garden and yard every year. Iā€™ve had to pick them as weeds at this point

1 Like

Iā€™m growing ā€œProviderā€ that I purchased from Territorial Seed. Package says 55 days but I planted 6/3 got germination 6/8 (5 days) and started picking 7/15 (42 days). Iā€™m still picking that initial planting, so harvest lasts a month. Itā€™s prolific and tasty. Itā€™s definitely a bush bean.

My acid test for ā€œIs this worth growingā€ is whether the grandchildren like it. I just finished a 10-day visit by grandchildren, who live in HI, and they devoured the beans. They even took a big baggie on the plane to eat on the trip home.

5 Likes

Italy is known for growing several species of beans including runner beans and favas. It may not be easy to find ā€œgreen beansā€ typically found in the U.S.

There are 4 growing types of beans, climbing, bush, western sprawling, and half-runner. Iā€™ve grown many varieties of each. Contender, Provider, Woods Mountain Crazy, etc are examples available from Sandhill.

https://www.sandhillpreservation.com/beans

Iā€™ll have to order some from the U.S.

here in south georgia we have always planted the blue lake ones.
tommyg

2 Likes

Do you fertilize your beans? Excess nitrogen will turn most any bean into a runner. And thereā€™s almost always a small percentage of any seed lot that revert to pole type. You donā€™t have to look hard for bush beans. In my experience everything labeled as Bush will be bush and everything labeled as pole will be pole. Excepting mispackaged varieties, of course.

All that being said, I like pole beans better unless you need a ton of beans all at once. Pole beans produce more per unit area, but they ripen over a longer season.

Hereā€™s the site for the US importer of Franchi seeds, an Italian company. Looks like they have a lot of bush (nano) types available.

2 Likes

The Burpee three color blend (green, yellow, purple) has yellow and purple ones that donā€™t send up the two runner shoot. The green ones always do when treated the same as the other two. The purple turn green when you cook them, so theyā€™reā€¦ kind of green? Seeds are all different color, so you can plant the ones you want when you find out which is which.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a nice tip to know. I skipped out on vegetables in my yard this year, but beans of all sorts tend to be in my plan when I try. they tend to get eaten at hte ground by local wildlife though.

1 Like

My favorite bush bean is Roma II. Great flavor and very productive.

3 Likes

I have a small space and a true bush bean to grow would be great to have.

1 Like

No, I havenā€™t used any fertilizer. For the last 3 years, Iā€™ve bought seed packets here in Italy of different types of supposedly bush beans and very few have actuallybeen bushes. Last year they were all pole beans and this year theyā€™re the half-runner type

Provider is good variety which I grow every year along with variety named Jade.

3 Likes

Yeah, thanks. Coincidentally I have a small package of Jade that Iā€™m planning to plant today. I havenā€™t grown it before. How do they compare, based on your experience?

Eating quality is better than Provider, IMO second to Fortex pole beans (third variety I grow). Plants are not as prolific producers in my climate compared to Provider or Fortex.

1 Like

I too have always grown blue lake bush beans with much success. Iā€™ve grown then in AZ, UT and CA.
Although bush beans are supposed to just put on once and harvest once, over have always harvested for several weeks. As long as you pick them before they get too old, they continue to blossom and produce.

2 Likes

It seems a lot of us here are growing Jade and Provider. Also have done Montpellier bush beans here. Maybe I am not observant but I have never spotted a runner.