Central Midwest - KS, MO, OK

So far so good on the fruit blossoms this year in Kansas. It’s been a dryer spring so far at my location. I’m not sure how the weather could be any better. Perfect for grafting, mowing, chainsawing or other spring chores.

3 Likes

There is a very good chance I have seen my last frost although it is to cold to get summer crops growing

2 Likes

Several KC weather predictions show Tues. morning as 30F. That’s the prediction for the city, outlying areas are almost always about 3 degrees colder, sometimes 4. We will be post bloom here by that time.

Even though MSU charts show minimal post bloom damage at 27, my experience is almost complete loss at that temp.

3 Likes

My weather has been good, lots of rain here. 2" last week, and 1" yesterday. All of my trees are coming to life, and my lawn is so green you would think you were in Ireland.

Now that a Regional chat exists for our area, I would like to ask the veterans here, what are their must grow edible plants for our region?

1 Like

Joining as I’m in North TX (north DFW) area.

2 Likes

What?
Pear &apple i assume? What about peach?
Walnut?
Euro plum?
Cherry?
I have to decide when to go to grafting everything and I have a lot of it to do.
I am thinking persimmon and jujube needs to leaf out and be above 40f yet? Yet get grafted before it gets too hot in may.
My peaches and kieffer pear are full bloom. Apricot petal dropped 2 weeks ago. It looks hopeful possible for apricot fruit a great fruit year!!!

2 Likes

@PaulinKansas6b

Yes you know I’m speaking of pears and apples right now.

1 Like

Well I’m shocked. My Abate Fetel pear is blooming. Received this tree last year from Trees of Antiquity. It’s on quince. I was expecting to wait a few more years.

1 Like

Ok yeah it has been feeling so spring Im ready to get to grafting, but im afraid a 30f low might damage them Im not yet an expert on timing. My young peach rootstocks are almost fully leafed out and look tempting! :smiley:

1 Like

Which Japanese plums crop well in our area? I had a ton of blossoms on Satsuma and Spring Satin but very few fruit set. Having dry spring with no frosts in past 3 weeks.

1 Like

@7catcmom

Japanese plums do not do well here at all. Toka does better than the others but you will lose at least 70% of the time.

Well that’s darn disappointing. I do have Toka and Lavina, just waiting for them to bloom. Also Weeping Santa Rosa, Shiro, Elephant Heart, Morris, Shirley and Dapple Daddy. Got rid of anything on Citation. Pluots seem very susceptible to canker and bact spot here.

1 Like

Two days ago I saved this as the weather shown is typical for this area this time of year. Soon it will begin to warm up more and the storms will turn more violent.

This is now

The different parts of the state have very different weather Kansas Office of the State Climatologist · Kansas Climate

Well fireblight finally reared its ugly head. 2nd leaf Harrow Delight started blooming. Nearly all fruiting spurs affected. Pruned all I could see. Bought some streptomycin to spray. These trees were already sprayed with Kocide and lime sulfur early.

1 Like

Spray pre bloom with copper next year. Do people grow fruit around there?

I think I have the most fruit trees in the neighborhood. There’s Bradford pears, native persimmons and oaks all around. Next door there is an old pear tree - likely Kieffer or Orient (makes small hard pears). It’s been windy as heck too.

1 Like

That old tree may have fireblight. My opinion is it came from close by because when a bird lands on a tree it’s one spot usually.

It probably does! Neighbor won’t remove it as it provides shade. Must be 30 ft tall and wide.

@7catcmom

Would offer to spray for free for hom next year. Once the fireblight is sprayed and gone there are very few problems.

1 Like

Good idea. Will examine that tree for him. Not sure how to spray that high though. We have a backpack sprayer. Is there a systemic/soil drench we could use? No one eats the fruit except squirrels/rats.

1 Like