Chard cool strange mutation?

I have never seen anything like this before, it’s almost scary.

8 Likes

what the hell? looks like some sort of alien plant.

Exactly! I just learned from a CRFG member that this rare occurrence is called Fasciation: Fasciation - Wikipedia

6 Likes

Did the seeds come from near Chernobyl?

3 Likes

Or, were they radiated?

Haha, hopefully not.

I saw a thing like this some years ago… it’s strange but very cool! :smile::smile:

1 Like

What makes me worried is that a few more on the same row were doing that :laughing:

1 Like

I wonder if its happening more because of something with your soil or if it has something to do with the seeds?

1 Like

I didn’t harvest any of it and the seeds are still scattered on the ground, we’ll find out next season if this will happen again.

1 Like

Here’s one that occurred on a Colorado blue spruce in my landscape.

In the ornamental world of grafting, fasciations are welcomed. Mine did not continue. It grew that one year like that and then disappeared the next.

Dax

7 Likes

Wouldn’t this be a hormonal issue? I wonder if there are ways to replicate it?

1 Like

I had a lily that fascinated one year. The stem was 4 times its usual size and it flowered like a beast. It was normal and fine the next year and has been every year since.

I’ve also had a hyacinth that was weird once. The stem was doubly thick and it bloomed in different colors on each side

Scott

2 Likes

I gave up a long time ago trying to understand or figure out why conifer witches brooms occurred. Why it is that so often trees in cemeteries have significant/large amounts of witches brooms vs. the typical landscape. The same with sports; I categorize them all now as bud mutations and leave it be. Some are stable (there’s a bunch of witches’ broom conifer fasciation mutations) (several anyway) and most disappear. That’s why it’s often so important it’s said that once there’s enough mature wood to propagate these crazy things, you do it immediately or give it to a professional propagator - because these things change and the following year that all gold colored sport may get spotty green it the following year sometime along the line and for some reason and I don’t know why, that window for a stable golden sport is gone-completely. It @RichardRoundTree like Richard says, probably has something to do with plant hormones. No clue here though as to why. That’s why I just say a bud mutated somewhere along the line and made something new that was hence propagated. That’s pretty simple in my book, that way.

Dax

1 Like

I’m always tempted to try to use colchicine to try and induce mutations, but I’ve never actually done it.

I almost wish genetic manipulation was easier for the homeowner. I want glow in the dark, blue daylilies.

Scott

4 Likes

@Chills While colchicine is kind of scary to mess with since it can affect your genes? (This is what i was told when i was younger and worked at a nursery and that guy was also against superthrive for food crops so there is that) there are so many super cool forced mutations that happen and i think it is used to create many more of these hybrid plants than people admit.

Have you seen this

Then you got some scientist working on something pretty close

3 Likes

Fascination in asparagus.

6 Likes