2020 pick of the day

Yes, I think it is basically a longer skinner version of Cucuzza. There are so many varieties of bottle gourd. Any suggested recipes?

1 Like

Grate and mixe with ground meat use as dumping fillings. Or stir fry with meat. Some people stuff it with ground meat

2 Likes

Red Astrachan apple

13 Likes

Life may be a bowl of cherries, but are these cherries more likely to be Emperor Francis or Napoleon/Royal Ann?
[Reposting. First time the image would not load.]

9 Likes

Virginia Sweets. First time I’ve grown these. Will report on taste when they ripen.

‘Not So’ Sweet Millions. Won’t grow these again. Just NOT sweet at all. P.S. - Notice the ‘veining’ on both of my tomato shots? They don’t really look like that! Something happens with the photo process. Strange.

Baby ‘Black Beauty’. These are great this year.

18 Likes

Check out my Chard mutation, I believe it’s called Fasciation.

3 Likes

Third picking of beets. Golden beets to the left will be roasted with goat cheese. I’m going to make a beer hummus with the other red ones.

Veggies

Blackberries are going strong again this year. So much fruit for so little work. Also just starting to get peaches. So far a lot of split pit but we can cut off the peach around the bad spots and they are delicious.

Last but not least, blackberry cobbler my wife made this morning.

19 Likes

Saturn Peaches and a nectarine or two…

Damaged goods

Saturn’s are absolute rot magnets for me, 2/3rd of the crop goes wasted even with sparse set and thinning (admittedly halfhearted). The taste is just about bearable.

12 Likes

Our Saturns aren’t that yellow. Some folks luv ‘em since they are so sweet, but there is not much peach in the flavor.

2 Likes

John,
Are yours the round type,like those pictured?bb

1 Like

General search for Saturn’s always show up with a donut type. I initially thought it was a mislabeled graft. However, the DWN link seems true to what I get.

https://www.davewilson.com/product-information/product/saturn-peach

2 Likes

Ours are the pale fleshed donut type. Had never heard of a round type. Shouldn’t they be named after a different planet?

No peaches at all this season. Late frost got them all.

2 Likes

Veggies, including a southern pea grown for snaps called whippersnapper and a few types of Korean zucchini. A few contender peaches and some Chestnut crab apples. Scion wood for Chestnut is from GRIN, but they don’t look as red as most I see, but seeds are brown and they taste sweet and ripe.

12 Likes

These unknown peaches from my home Depot tree are huge this year. I guess this is what happens when you don’t let tree grow 250 peaches.

16 Likes

Thai curry for lunch. First crop of ichiban eggplant and first time harvesting lemongrass. The Thelma Sanders winter squash fell victim to a borer, so she’s going in too.

16 Likes

Shiro J plum. Like the color but the taste is so so.

18 Likes

Flavor King Pluot. Very flavorful and sweet, by far my favorite plum.

20 Likes

@fruitgrower Here’s another California grower who seems to have the early sport of FK.

3 Likes

Today’s harvest.

22 Likes

Very nice. What are your light green peppers?

3 Likes