Cherry Of The Rio Grande (Eugenia involucrata)

You have E. involucrata. They do not reproduce true to type from seed. For that you will need an airlayer.

Hum, definitely bought it labeled as a Nelita seedling so I guess I will see what I get when/if it holds fruit. Pictures of the fruit it came from sure looked delicious. I bought it over at TFF.

A seedling of Nelita is not Nelita. Sellers offer seedlings with a name attached as if it’s something special. It is not. On the other hand, Cherry Of The Rio Grande is an excellent fruit when allowed to turn dark before harvest. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

You are right. It is a seedling from this tree’s fruit: Eugenia calycina or Eugenia sp. from Miguel.pt - YouTube. It produces very large cherry of the rio grande and he named it after his wife.

Cherry Of The Rio Grande is Eugenia involucrata. It is named after the main river in a region in Brazil where it is found.

Eugenia calycina is sometimes called Savannah Cherry.

2 Likes

This year the majority of fruit was above the roof line so today I pruned the tree back to about 3’. Afterwards I painted over the wounds in a heavy-handed fashion with Morrison’s tree seal to discourage pests while the plant heals.

5 Likes

Any idea on the cold hardiness of COTRG? I live in Texas but we do get freezing weather here. Also if I grew it here I would need a make shift green house over it and might be able to keep the lowest temps it might experience to the upper 20’s F (this would not be a fancy greenhouse so this is probably the best I can manage. Related to that is it possible to keep this to 8 feet with pruning and still get fruit? Last question, are two required for pollination? Seems I am in an area of too much heat for regular cherries but too cold for COTRG to have in ground without such significant protection. I would love to have a fruit that tastes like cherries. The COTRG I got to taste years ago was very close to a bing cherry and was very good.

@Darby64
It gets aggressive with age. It is a 15 meter tree in Rio Grande Do Sul. The fruit is borne on prior year whips. It is self-fertile. I wouldn’t trust it below 27°F for more than a few hours. Keeping it to 8 ft is not feasible in the long run.

1 Like