Chinese Chestnut Taste?

Thanks for the response. After visiting a tree that was dropping them a couple days ago, I came to the same conclusion. Dealing with those needles to acquire a large crop did not look like much fun. And after eating. A lot of work for not much substance. I was looking at them as something different to sell, but in the end not worth it.

Sorry for thread bump, but Iā€™m planting trees at my new house and got me remembering this tree (Chinese Chestnut).

Had one at the house I grew up in during the 1990ā€™s (Itā€™s still there last I saw, but Iā€™m not).

Was a nice tree, wider than tall, healthy. Iā€™d guess at least 40 yrs old when we got there, but Iā€™m no expert. We had a swing under it for awhile.

Donā€™t walk barefoot around it. The pods hurt.

My mother tried to harvest and roast the nuts a couple times, but there was some larva that infested basically 99-100% of them (Wasp/moth/not sure, google probably knows) so we never actually got to eat them. I write it off as completely useless for food production unless you spray it/manage them some other way. Had a bunch of black walnuts on the same property and they actually could be collected a bit (we didnā€™t do it often, but it was possible)ā€¦ so it was just this tree that got infested like that. Didnā€™t damage the tree any, but completely infested the entire crop of nuts every single year.

3 Likes

Probably chestnut weevils. After loss of most American chestnuts their populations were reduced, but they still subsist on chinquapins and non-native chestnuts and can be a serious problem in chestnut plantings. Most common control methods are sanitation (i.e., keeping dropped chestnuts picked up so the grub doesnā€™t get into the ground to complete its life cycle) and heat treating nuts.

1 Like

Sounds like youā€™re probably right there.

As for people not collecting black walnuts another member mentioned in '19, Theyā€™re everywhere around me too, and Iā€™ve met ONE person in my life who collects them, and Iā€™m going to fall on the side of people saying theyā€™re not worth the effort. With no special equipment available to me to assist with them, Iā€™m HAPPY to pay store prices for Walnuts vs collecting, husking and shelling them myself. That said theyā€™re beautiful and sturdy trees, but I avoid them because of the juglone. Thereā€™s a couple in my neighbors yards I canā€™t do anything about, but if there were any in mine, Iā€™d take them down, use the wood (itā€™s quite nice) and let the ground start the however many decade process of washing out the juglone.

To be fair though, Iā€™m on a tiny little half acre plot, and trying to maximize the space. If I were sitting on multiple acres, Iā€™d care a lot less about letting the black walnuts have their room.

Iā€™ve gotten three volunteers along my property line in the past year and I cut them out asap.

1 Like

Iā€™m bumping this topic because I have a related question.

Iā€™m growing Qing (technically, Qing seedlings) and I like it. Itā€™s vigorous, productive, and tasty. I donā€™t really need more chestnuts. But Iā€™m always interested in trying new things. So this question is directed to anyone who has grown both Qing and other Chinese varieties:

Is there any variety that is better than Qing or at least equal to it overall but different?

I suppose the answer is, ā€œYeah, lots.ā€ If so, could you rank them and maybe briefly discuss pros and cons. As an aid, let me stipulate that size is not a priority; sweetness and flavor matter much more.

I appreciate that if you say ā€œVariety Xā€ then Iā€™ll end up growing a seedling of X ā€“ so 50% X. Iā€™m not quite ready to wrestle with grafts of chestnuts. Iā€™ll take the risk.

There are many that are better than or equal to Qing.
Qingā€™s primary attribute is that itā€™s sweet, even when the nut has just fallen off the tree. It also has good flavor, even when raw.
We did a taste test at The University of Missouri 4 years ago of about 20 cultivars and Qing did not finish in the top 5. Iā€™m not sure it was even in my top 10.
Yixian Large and YGF were the two best. They both have sweetness and both simply have better overall flavor than Qing. Yixian Large also has a very large nut -

YGF nuts are not small either-

Flavor is a complex subject but basically Qing has a relatively simple flavor and simple texture. It does have very good sweetness which is why many people think highly of it.

8 Likes

Thanks! Is the taste test written up and published?

p.s. I did see this:

af1007.pdf (1.6 MB)

1 Like

Not written up.
Most of the published Chinese chestnut cultivar discussions are about 20 years behind the times.
The nuts below are from the ā€˜Elizaā€™ cultivar. Great size, great productivity and great flavor. The University of Missouri has a small two year old graft of it. They probably wonā€™t get around to discussing it (if they ever do) for at least another 10-15 years.

6 Likes

Jrd, thanks for that website. That is the best article on growing chestnuts I have seen so far. I am a little far north to get my hopes up, but have a number of trees planted. Not holding my breath on ever harvesting any, but with the weather swings, who knows? I have Chinese, 2 Layerokes, 5 Dunstans, maybe a couple others. Iā€™m trying the Plantra grow tubes now to see if they help.

1 Like

You might want to talk to Buzz at Perfect Circle Farm in northern VT. Heā€™d have relevant experience. @Buzzferver

Thanks. Iā€™ll probably just let them grow a couple years, then decide how to procede if they make it that long. Iā€™m to the age I shouldnā€™t be planting more fruit or nut trees, but it is an addiction.

1 Like

ā€œBlessed is he who plants trees under whose shade he will never sit.ā€

3 Likes

Except future property buyers rip it all out again.

1 Like

Yes, most do rip it all out. They donā€™t want any trees dropping fruits or nuts on their lawn.

1 Like

Some day they may find the grocery stores either all locked or all empty, theyā€™ll regret ripping out the fruit and nutsā€¦but you canā€™t tell some folks anythingā€¦lessons learned by experience generally are the kind that finally do ā€˜stickā€™.

3 Likes