Cider blend dilemma, need advice

I tried blending a crabapple juice (PH 2.0) I think is Dolgo with another apple variety (PH 4.1) but at a ratio of 6 to 1 the stuff still tastes nasty and has a PH of 2.9.

A little back story: When I was pressing the Dolgo crab, I drank some and thought I was going to do some sort of Jekyll and Hyde thing. It tasted nasty and I thought I was going to die. I waited about ten minutes before coming inside to take an antacid (Tums), an acid reducer (Omeprazol), and drink a tall glass of milk. I only drank about an ounce, but thought for a while I might want to go to the ER. I began to feel better, but not well, after a while, so I continued grinding and pressing until finished. That night and even the next day (yesterday) I still felt affected by this nasty tasting juice!.

Okay, now today as I am trying to blend the Dolgo with the other, even with the ratio of 6 to 1, I am getting that same nasty, dry taste, and my heart seems to be racing–just from licking the stirrer! Could these be some kind of poison apples? Is there such a thing? Why is this juice so pink? Ugh. I’m thinking I need to toss it, or put it in a pressure washer to clean the sidewalk or something…and the have some malic acid powder delivered to me next day air special delivery(?)

Any thought or advice would be appreciated.

2 Likes

Bottle of Tums. Should be good for our bones. 100% RDA calcium.

1 Like

Does a glass of dry Chenin Blanc do the same to you?

If not, then ferment the juice before drinking it.

1 Like

Maybe try a 20:1 crab ratio and adjust from there till the PH is at least 3.2.

Seems like you got the predictable result from a highly acidic and highly tannic apple. They’re called “spitters” for a reason.

Fermentation will reduce sugar but not acidity or tannins. So that’s no solution.

I think the bottom line is that is that Dolgo shouldn’t comprise more than 5-10% of a cider blend.

3 Likes

Can’t you use gelatin to bind to tannins?

You sure those crabs are Dolgos? I made a cider a few years ago and used a 3:1 ratio of regular apples and dolgos. It wasn’t great, but definitely drinkable, just too tart for my taste. Around here the dolgos are almost an edible crab. Maybe post a pic?

Yes, I was going to suggest gelatin. But it seems like chasing your tail to pick a tannin-rich apple and then use gelatin (or anything else) to remove the tannin. Also, at least half the problem in the OP is acid. There are techniques for reducing acid, but the same point applies.

Both acid and tannins are desirable in a cider, in moderation. The ideal solution may be just to blend the juice described with a mild but fruity base juice.

1 Like

I am NOT sure they are Dolgos, but they do certainly resemble them. the juice on the left was from them. Was yours this chalky pink color?.

1 Like

Oh interesting. Hmm no, my juice was a beautiful clear red. I haven’t seen apples make a cloudy pink like that before.

I’m not sure if what I used were dolgos either, but they did fit the description. Small, very dark red, almost purple actually. They almost look like plums. Tasted kind of like a cranberry.

Dolgos can vary a tremendous amount as many are grown as seedlings, not grafted. So there is a lot of genetic diversity. We graft the our Dolgos and I think they taste good. I prefer less sweet apples in general. I have never tested the pH of the juice from ours. S

1 Like

That color is amazing. Judging a book by its cover you would think it to be delicious. Looks can be deceiving I suppose.

The nursery I work at used to grow large ball and burlapped Dolgo crabs. The fruit when fully ripe was quite good. Sadly they only keep for a few days before they become soft and over-ripe. I enjoyed eating them. Due to lack of demand we stopped growing them.

I have to assume that whatever crab you squeezed was not Dolgo. Dolgo does have a very deep skin color and conical shape to the fruit. I never recall ours tasting very acidic.

2 Likes

Yes, I believe that must be the case. These have the same conical shape and size, but NOT the deep skin color you and others described.

Thank you for confirming my suspicion!

You should have a few bitter apples in the mix.
Also
check out the brix.
Low sugar means shorter shelf life.
Cider really wants to become vinegar.
You can treat it with potassium sorbate to prevent this.
Yellow Delicious is a high sugar apple.

TA and pH don’t work in a proportional manner… going 6:1 won’t get you 6-sevenths of the way to a pH of 4.1. With what you’re describing, I’d try to find a low-acid apple and ferment a goodly amount. When it’s done, it may be a bit blah. Make some test blends in glasses 2:1, 4:1, etc and find something that’s palatable. Then mix away.

Residual sugars can help with an acidic dry cider, but from what you’re describing, I think you’d end up with a syrup, not a cider! Hahaha……

If bleeding down with a low-acid cider doesn’t quite make it there but is close, you might consider back sweetening from there. With back sweetening, be sure to take the necessary precautions pertaining to bottle bombs.

4 Likes

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful insight and advice. I have decided it is not worth taking any chances with what I know is good–and to simply eliminate that unknown pink poison. I went ahead and ordered some malic acid to be sent airmail/overnight, and I will do as I have done before and use it to decrease the PH…and give my un-tart apple juice the pizzazz it needs to make something [hopefully] decent.

2 Likes