Clarkinks 2024 recommended pears-everyone must have

Dang! Clark’s small yellow by a mile, I guess. Sounds like something I’d want to grow. Do you share/trade/sell scions?

2 Likes

Since Potomac made the new list… it had been awhile since anyone expanded on this but you said it tastes like a very good Anjou. Looking forward to mine bearing in the next years.

Does anyone grow Harrow Gold?

I think this would be a wonderful pear with Harrow Delight and Harvest Queen as their parents… Both have excellent reviews on this forum.

However of course its impossible to find and will be for sale at Cummins in spring 2025. (maybe).

@clarkinks
I’ll echo Aaron’s sentiment. Any chance @39thparallel is propagating Clark’s Small Yellow for future sale?

2 Likes

@AaronN

It is not always a great pear, but when it is, it’s great. It doesn’t keep and has not had a good crop lately.

2 Likes

@Richard

He collected scions this year but i dont think he’s to a point of being able to sell them yet. I also gave him ayer not ayers and estella. He has had ayers for years. Ayer, estella, and douglas are grown by the ayer family in Douglas county kansas in the 1800’s. Hood is reportedly very good at most sites. @39thparallel left a little bit ago. Was showing him my next remote orchard site.

1 Like

@clarkinks
Very good. Propagation is slow but Richard is patient.

2 Likes

This is my favorite post about Clark’s little pear… its buried deep in this forum but a good representation made by him.

3 Likes

@Richard

The problem is it is very inconsistent in production. Like a wild strawberry it is delicious but still more wild than tame. They dont store or ship but when they are on they are the best i ever tasted. Once you tasted them at their best nothing else will match them. Like a wild strawberry they can try to match the flavor but they cant.

2 Likes

I will be curious if a mild but steady annual supplement of potash improves production regularity.

1 Like

@Richard

I wish i knew what would do it. I use aged cow manure on it to try to deliver a steady fertilizer. Fireblight isnt an issue. I dont know about chill hours etc. On this one yet.

2 Likes

I have limited Pear experience. Ayer’s is in year 2 here. There are a couple of Bartlett’s and a bit of leaf curl is the only thing I’ve seen on them. But we do not mess with them anyway. They are on the swamp line and critters keep fruit off of them.

1 Like

@clarkinks

Understood. I will test it in the future.

1 Like

Buerre d’Amalis (as sold by Fedco) is large and high quality mid season pear. I have seen some very large historic trees of the variety growing and producing untended, so it’s a hardy survivor and at least pest resistant. I grow Clara Frijs and really like that one. Dana Hovey is also a wonderful winter pear, great texture, flavor and sweetness.

1 Like

@clarkinks

Thank you for the updated list. My question is “what drove you to conclude that Warren and Magness were not only different pears, but pears with a significantly different level of disease resistance?”

I believe that I had read elsewhere that you supposed it possible that they are the same pear.

1 Like

I aim to pair dutchess d angouleme at my moms with a scion of this Clark’s pair of yours. Sounds funny. There are pollinators like callery and my pears 1/2 mile away but wat something close.
Hope it’s somewhat of a vigor match. Would it do best grafted on north or south? It’s on ohf84.

1 Like

@JerrytheDragon

Experience taught me they are totally different pears. They look the same both with leaves and fruit. They even taste the same. Once you grow them both you will know they are as different as different can be. Magness is more prone to fireblight and at my location takes longer to produce. When it does produce its a shy bearer. Your experience might be the opposite. Im going to add some karls favorites grafts on magness also. All that said warren is hard to pollinate but it blooms and thats the first step to success.

1 Like

@AaronN I have it in the nursery for future scion production. @clarkinks has allowed me to collect scion for distribution by special request until I have it producing scion.

6 Likes

I have not fruited magness. I had hesitated to add Warren because of its supposed similarities, but will now give it a try.

Thank you

1 Like

Anton Callaway reports here that “a molecular assay done by Oregon State University scientists showed that while it was related to ‘Magness’, ‘Warren’ is distinct (Karp. 2011).”

Callaway shares @clarkinks’ assessment of Magness’ greater fireblight susceptibility, and notes that Magness “is resistant to blight through the blossoms (the most common route of entry), but if the trunk is inoculated (in nature, this usually means a hailstorm), then it is susceptible. My tree produced several crops before a hailstorm hit when there was blight in the orchard and the tree quickly succumbed. The breeders also noticed this attribute.”

Edit: I tried to find that study, and the source Callaway relies on seems to be an article in the LA times about the Warren Pear that refers to unpublished enzyme analyses cited by Richard Bell.

4 Likes

What qualifies as a special request? I’d be happy to purchase scion this season.