Clark's Crabapple

I’ll be curious to see it. Your description makes it sound amazing.

Were apples not far enough along to be affected by the hard frost a couple of weeks ago? We had 26 here, and though I thought the fruit set was still OK, I see now that they’ve gotten a good heavy thinning! Probably what’s left will be some pretty nice fruit if the bugs and diseases don’t wipe em out! To bad as it was looking like we might be due for a big crop. Darn eggs weren’t hatched yet though it seems

2 Likes

although its been a cool spring we havent had many late frosts. we still have a few weeks that we could get some but so far so good. the 7 day says none are on the horizon so i think we are in the clear. should be a great year for fruit set.

2 Likes

When you say it’s a good fresh eater, does that mean it doesn’t have the “typical” acidic/tannic bite of many (all?) red fleshed varieties?

It seems every red fleshed crab/apple I’ve ever tasted makes a Dolgo crab taste sweet.

2 Likes

We need to change smsmith’s id to Will Hafta as in Will Hafta wait to find out. steveb4 hasn’t tasted them yet. Just has descriptions provided by the owner.

3 Likes

Fair enough. When someone tells me an apple/crabapple is a good eater I ask them what that means. I’ve got a buddy who thinks Dolgo is great for fresh eating. I think they’re terrible. That’s why I ask some follow up questions. I don’t want to waste my time grafting/growing a crab/apple that tastes like battery acid (to me).

5 Likes

@smsmith

Many red flesh are very dry. There are a few that are very good. This year when i’m at @39thparallel orchard i need to document those really good red fleshed apples because he has some. Last time we were only focused on making cider. You can see we pressed many into cider 2022 cider at 39thparallel orchard

4 Likes

I’m okay with drier apples as long as they aren’t also quite tannic, sour, and bitter.

“Really good” is like “good fresh eater”…they’re all in the eye of the beholder. What’s really good? What’s a good fresh eater?

3 Likes

she said it does have some acidic/ tannin element to it but she finds its good fresh eating but she was raised on this farm with this tree so maybe its more of a sentimental thing for her. ill try them then post back on what i find…

2 Likes

we need to get your apple to @skillcult . bet he could improve on it by crossing with his best selections. if this crab is as good as she says it is ill get a few to send to him as well.

3 Likes

While too much tannin can make a fruit too astringent to eat, many commercial breeders have erred on the side of releasing varieties which in my opinion are too lacking in tannin. Tannin isn’t bad. It just needs to be in balance.

5 Likes

i agree. i like a acidic apple as long as it has the right amount of sweetness and flavor.

1 Like

@steveb4, the “farm apple” is getting so much traction that it might be time to create a new thread around it!

2 Likes

done! under Rosignol farm crabapple.

4 Likes

A nice bit of acidity is good too, but that’s usually still present in many “modern” apples. It’s usually just the tannin content that’s too diminished. Tannic apples brown faster when cut so that may be part of the selection process against them regardless of flavor balance.

3 Likes

Clark’s Crab needs its own song, maybe a country song.

7 Likes

Have to add a guitar, train, prison, a good woman, and alcohol to get a good country song. Let’s see, I was strumming my guitar the day I got out of prison, Dreaming about that first taste of Clark’s Crab hard cider, They dropped me at the train station… Hard to find a good woman.

5 Likes

Not a bad start. We’ll get Jason Isbell to fill it out, and Sturgill Simpson to perform it.

2 Likes

You forgot to reference a beat up truck.

2 Likes

And that it’s raining.

2 Likes

When you get drunk first, you forget a lot of things. Unfortunately the rain should come before the cider. Depending on where we are on the journey, the truck getting beat up may be in the second verse.

4 Likes