Clark's Crabapple

Many of you remember this thread New Apple Seedling Varieties .The Clark’s crabapple as i mentioned fruits like clusters of grapes. Today at the @39thparallel orchard and Nursery you can see the clusters are heavy on these apples. They were top worked with these apples 2 or 3 years ago. Every year these seedlings are gaining popularity in Kansas. Here is Mike removing some damaged fruit and taking a minute to let me grab a few photos. Years ago Mike saw these at my property and has grown them since. Don’t worry about patents there are none your free to grow it and share it. Wanted to make sure this crabapple never gets lost to time so i shared scion wood for years with anyone who would take it. Mike now grows these at both of his orchards. He grows some very rare fruits you wont see anywhere else.

49 Likes

Wow!!

4 Likes

@clarkinks Thanks a bunch for sharing. I would like to get a scion if possible. Also can you describe the taste of this apple and any disease issues and spray requirement.

4 Likes

@Anjeerfarmer

Tried to disperse the scions as much as possible sending them all over. The original parent tree died after many years but it was on its own roots. My current trees are small. @39thparallel has many trees of the variety and others grow it as well. The sugars are very high and its nicely balanced with some sour taste. Its a very late apple today is October 16th. Have picked this type after a snow many times. The apple has a crisp snap to it when you bite into it. This is not a mushy or mealy apple. This apple is rich and concentrated tasting like a really exceptional cider apple. Literally i have given out hundreds of scions. Hopefully many people growing these are sharing them. My favorite part about this apple is it keeps a long time in storage.

16 Likes

Clark, the trees I started ended up partially under the canopy of another tree in the nursery bed and I missed a bloom on one of them. The tree is only about 8" tall and it formed a fruit! I’m in the process of getting the trees out of the nursery bed and into the orchard.

7 Likes

@AndySmith

Thats great im glad to hear it’s doing well. It will produce extremely fast. Was the apple it produced as good as normal? It should be Crisp somewhat sour and Sugary! Im not sure why it is so bent on producing but it sets heavy crops of apples as your aware. @39thparallel still has some unpicked in his orchard. If someone planted those seeds i can’t imagine what they would end up with. These were grown from wild collected apple seeds growing in remote areas unattended. The seeds were selected based on disease resistance , good tasting fruits and other factors.

6 Likes

Racoons got it. *&%$# !

3 Likes

@AndySmith

The racoons got most of one of my pear trees fruits this year. They are really something.

1 Like

Magnificent!!!

2 Likes

Awesome variety.

2 Likes

With a tree with that much fruit I wonder how it would do with only an hour or two of sun. If it produced 1/10 the amout of fruit that would still be plenty.

4 Likes

Seedlings or grafts Clark. I believe you might edit your post to reflect scions unless seedlings are consistent and being grown. I just noticed, is all.

2 Likes

@Barkslip

Dax ,

They are cuttings of my seedling grafted on mm111. Thanks

2 Likes

I read wrong. My apologies.

2 Likes

Hey Clark is your friend Mike using some kind of spray regiment on these beauties?

2 Likes

If i planted that here it would be called Clark’s Critter Magnet. :grinning:

I bet that tree is beautiful in bloom…and probably an excellent pollinator.

2 Likes

@Jujube

I’m sure he is using some spray. We will let @39thparallel answer what he sprays with when he gets some time. I grew it spray free here with good results but there was damage. You can see what that looks like here New Apple Seedling Varieties . Likely sprayed them a couple of times in the photos below. These were apples from the original seedling years ago.

7 Likes

I’m doing a conventional spray program. That said I may have missed critical cover sprays during CAR inoculation period and there is a big row of cedar about 100 ft away. The variety seems to have decent overall disease resistance.

6 Likes

I’d love to get some scions. These look great

2 Likes

Those are gorgeous Clark. I love “storage” type apples for food security reasons.

If anyone is selling scion for this variety this winter please let us know here. I’m sure plenty of us would be interested in purchasing some.

Also, I suspect this one may be one of those rare self fertile types as that could explain its consistently heavy yields.

7 Likes