Clark's Crabapple

Must…get…39th order done!!! Before it’s too late.

3 Likes

@39thparallel continues to get good reviews on this apple. Like i said im hoping additional breeding will be done with this crabapple.

3 Likes

im hoping to get a few off mine soon. its about 7ft. and put on quite a bit of growth with the goat manure i put around it last spring.

2 Likes

@steveb4

Its going to bury you in apples!

3 Likes

Speaking of breeding with this apple, Clark, do you remember approximately how many years from seed to first fruit it was for this variety? Given the general rule is crab apples begin producing younger than big apples (on average) I would think breeding with this might be a little less daunting for backyard breeders.

4 Likes

@JohannsGarden

Yes it was fast 4-5 years from seed if i remember correctly. If you graft onto rootstocks much faster.

3 Likes

Any ideas for breeding prospects?

2 Likes

Just grafted a Clark’s Crab onto MM111 today. Can’t wait for the results.

5 Likes

@dannytoro1

The seeds will look like variants of the parent. Some really great crosses could come from this apple.

3 Likes

Got a scion on the way from 39th parallel plus m111 rootstock. I held out, but couldn’t let another season go by without getting this one in the ground.

5 Likes

If you have a large useless tree to graft onto you will save time, you can get fruit in as little as a year and a half.

2 Likes

Im looking forward to seeing pictures of the fruit very soon people are growing. Remember there is no patent or trademark so cross breed them and graft as many as you want. These apples are ideal for me because i like fruit that stores a long time.

5 Likes

Clarks crab waking up. So exciting.

6 Likes

My tree and scions arrived from @39thparallel this afternoon. I am so excited!

3 Likes

Last year’s Clark’s Crab grafts had a few swellings that look like fruit buds.

4 Likes

Missed out on Clark’s Crab. Looks like the first scion to leaf will be Wallace Howard here.

Can not believe after developing fine hairy roots; now a herd of Dorset Gold cuttings are leafing.

3 Likes

i have 5 seedlings i put in last spring grafted with it. also planted a nice 5ft. grafted tree of Clarks crab from 39th parallel i planted last spring as well. mulched it with goat bedding. it put on about 16in. of growth last summer. i may see some fruit this summer.

3 Likes

Precocious: grafted on G30 2023 and have flower buds now on tips after one year of growth. Is Clark’s mainly a tip-bearer?

1 Like

It seems like it may be pretty common for one year old ‘Clark’s Crab’ grafts to have fruit buds (on some rootstocks). I checked on my one year old grafts which were top worked onto an established vigorous rootstock (native M. fusca) and although the grafts grew as much as four feet, there don’t seem to be any fruiting buds developing this year. As much as I want to taste the fruit, I’m happy it’s not trying to fruit so soon. I want it to develop some branching first.

4 Likes

From the pictures above it looks like it might be a partial tip bearer? Or just fairly vigorous and precocious? There looked to be plenty of spurs elsewhere on the tree.

2 Likes