Clark's Crabapple

@dannytoro1

2 Likes

The green ones look tangy! Tried them yet? Is the other the red/yellow crab?

2 Likes

@dannytoro1

There are about half a dozen all together. The red crabapple does not cluster like the clarks crabapple named after me. The clarks crabapple as photos show is ridiculous its so productive. The green one is a great pie apple. It is not sour like granny smith it is more of balanced apple but tasty. It never gets diseases but is less productive. They are all pretty good apples. Only the clarks crabapple is an obvious winner.

6 Likes

Which one has the weeping habit?

I like small to medium apples because of so many kids in the family. The green looks like a nice kid size.

3 Likes

@dannytoro1

The green one grows straight up and is a little large. I would stick to the clarks crabapple its a winner.

4 Likes

I ordered a scion of Clark’s Crabapple from 39th Parallel, along with Winesap (last tree of this I knew of was cut down by someone buying a house & destroying all fruit trees on that lot) & Dabinett, which cries to be tried in the Spokane area.
Tromping out back into the snow I counted at least 30 shoots coming from Bud118 cut to the ground last year; might be some branching already with those, so at least 20 to play with come March. A hardware cloth cylinder around the shoots & 2-3" of softwood shavings shaken in last August should jump start rooting above ground over winter. I am interested to find out if Clark’s Crab has any tannins. (If no more than Whitney Crab that would be another plus.) In any case, I am close to enough cultivars to make several mixes of juice for cider when the trees mature.
And then there are hunters I know who like chumming for deer by planting apple trees that provide calories in fall…

4 Likes

@NuttingBumpus

No tannins it is a good balance of sweet and sour.

3 Likes

I spotted some crab seedlings and will be ordering them. Specifically so I can order from 39th.

1 Like

@dannytoro1
I’d rather have them on his rootstock.

1 Like

Yeah, but the crab rootstock will ship now. Apple rootstock will not ship for awhile.

1 Like

39th parallel ships Clark’s Crab grafted to rootstock.

3 Likes

I remember @clarkinks saying to put it on vigorous stock like Antanovka, since it bears so heavily that it makes for a runt of a tree

1 Like

@hobilus

In many locations, mm111 would be vigorous enough for a moderate sized tree.

2 Likes

39th does. However I can graft my own. I looked for dwarfs but they were out of small grafts of their own stock. And I can get scions and rootstocks grafted this month and growing in the garage on/before January for a good head start. Long before whips and rootstocks ship.

1 Like

You’ll save money but not time.

2 Likes

Well I wish they had fresh whips of what I wanted. 39th has great pricing on 2-3’ foot whips. But I came to late and missed the boat on that one. I snoozed and lost. In the Apple game, act early or you miss out. Especially the new goodies…lol

4 Likes

Clarks Crabapple grafts. I added several grafts this spring and after looking over the growth it looks like I have at least a few buds that will bloom this coming year. Those with bloom buds were added to existing trees. I did have one scion grafted onto a vigorous limb that grew out pretty long which can be used for additional grafts if I choose to do so. Hoping to taste at least one in 2024. Do you have any dormant buds that appear to be bud blooms?

4 Likes

What’s the bloom time/duration like on Clark’s Crab?

1 Like

This is the famous Clark’s crab. Finally got my hands on it. Thank you @JohannsGarden for the cut. And thank you @clarkinks for finding us a winner. Thanks you all.

Look out rocket apple, there a new crab going into my kids lunch soon…

10 Likes

@evilpaul

It blooms with my other apples. Typically apples bloom after frost here at my farm. One year out of 10 we have a very late frost that can get apple blooms. I would like to tell you march , april etc. but the years no longer follow normal weather cycles. Pears are blooming much earlier.

2 Likes